I just love recipes that come together with minimal time and effort. Recipes that you can prepare in advance and that you know everybody at home will like. This Mexican vegetarian casserole does all that for my and me family. A Mexican casserole is essentially a type of lasagna made with corn tortillas instead of lasagna noodles.
I’m a firm believer that any kind of casserole meal is comforting food at its best. And comfort food always brings the family together at the table. That is why I partnered with Farberware for this post.
Farberware Cookware has been around the kitchen of Cook enthusiasts since 1900. Helping us home cooks deliver nutritious and delicious food for our families.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it can be served for dinner, lunch or breakfast. I find this amazing, especially during the holiday season when I have family over. This type of dish is very easy to prepare, and all family members can help to put it together. There are two ways of doing this dish; one is with fried corn tortillas or lightly toasting them. Both, the filling and the sauce can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge for future use.I love to use mushrooms and kale for the filling, the combination of these two veggies give the casserole body and texture. I also like to use tomatillos for the sauce because I feel nothing can beat their sweet-tart flavor.
Here is the recipe for this Mexican Vegetarian Casserole and I hope you like it. If you do, please share, the recipe and the blog.
Mexican Vegetarian Casserole
- 1 pound tomatillos husks and stems removed, rinsed well
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 -3/4 of a cup of water
- 1 cup fresh cilantro tightly fitted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 6 cups kale leaves washed and trimmed
- 2 poblano chiles charred, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup onion chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- 3/4 cups sour cream Mexican crema or vegan sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded melting cheese or vegan melting cheese
- Head over to Farberware to get the full instructions for the Mexican Vegetarian Casserole.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.