All Mexicans have eaten molletes at least once in their lives, they are a typical breakfast or dinner in Mexico. But if you are not Mexican and have never eaten molletes, you really have to try them.
What are molletes?
Molletes (you pronounce it like this [moˈʎete] ) are basically open sandwiches with beans and cheese, topped with salsa, normally pico de gallo.
ingredients for the traditional molletes
- Bread. Normally, bolillos or teleras (similar to bolillo but flat in shape) are used. Bolillos are a typical Mexican white bread with a crispy exterior and soft inside. If you don’t have Mexican rolls, use baguette or ciabatta bread. Any type of bread that has the same characteristics as the bolillo will work. The bread is first toasted with butter (I use vegan) or oil.
- Refried beans. I always like to have refried beans in the refrigerator. They are very good to accompany any dish or to make this perfect vegan breakfast. You can use black beans,or whichever you like the most. Any refired bean works.
- Cheese. Use any cheese that melts, I use Violife or Follow your Heart brand. When I don’t have vegan cheeses at home, I use tofu mixed with onion and salt like I use it in the chilaquiles recipe.
- Pico de gallo or any other authentic Mexican sauce, such as roasted garlic and tomatillo salsa verde, raw or cooked salsa verde.
how to make molletes?
- First you have to cut the bread in half length wise. Spread a little butter (I use vegan) or oil on each half and toast.
- Second step is to layer it with refried beans. I like to put the beans warm, so it is easier to spread them on all the bread and take less time to be ready.
- Third step is to put the cheese on top and put in the oven to melt. You can use the toaster oven or in the regular oven use the broil function.
What about the “pico de gallo”?
Pico de gallo is one of the favorite sauces of Mexicans. The pico de gallo is perfect to eat with everything. You can use it to finish a salad, on a guacamole, for tacos or even just with sweet potato chips or tortilla chips.
The ingredients of the classic and authentic pico de gallo are: cilantro, onion, tomato and serrano chili. And the way to do it is to chop everything, put it in a bowl, add a good pinch of salt in it and mix carefully.
I leave you the recipe for these muffins with pic de gallo and I hope you like them as much as we do at home. When you make them take a photo of them and share it on Fb, Instagram or save the recipe to make it later on Pinterest.
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
Here are other recipes that you may like:
- 4 small baguette cut in half and then crosswise
- 2 teaspoons butter I use vegan
- 1 ½ cup of refried beans
- 7 oz of grated cheese
Pico de gallo
- 2 large tomatoes without their juice and diced
- ½ cup small onion diced
- 1 serrano pepper minced
- ¼ bunch cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Turn on the broiler or the oven.
- Cover one side of each half of the bread with butter and place on the baking sheet and put in the oven until toasty, you could also use a hot skillet or a griddle.
- Spread beans side to side on each piece of bread. Top each one with grated cheese.
- Bake the molletes until the cheese is melted. Serve with one or two tablespoons of pico de gallo.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.