These skillet Morrocan cauliflower meatballs, bathed in tomato sauce, are perfect when you want to eat healthy, light, and flavorful at the same time. These vegan cauliflower meatballs are a pack of flavor thanks to Prego Farmers’ Market® rich and delicious tomato sauce base with fresh herbs and warm Morrocan spices added to it.
Morrocan cuisine is known for its incredible blend of spices and textured dishes. Couscous dishes, Tagines, and Harira soup are some of the best known. All of them filled with a robust combination of spices and a unique layered flavor profile.
Ingredients for the cauliflower meatballs with Morrocan tomato sauce
- Cauliflower. Look for a fresh cauliflower with firm florets.
- Rice. I used basmati rice, but you can use brown rice, quinoa, or even white rice. This helps as a binder for the “meatballs” and to give them body.
- Onion and garlic. Because with these aromatics, everything tastes better.
- Fresh herbs. Parsley, cilantro, and mint. Adding fresh herbs to the cauliflower meatballs gives them an extra touch of freshness in every bite.
- Tomato sauce. This is the easiest step and one you are going to love, I’m sure. I used Prego Farmers’ Market® Roasted garlic sauce and just heated it with spices. I added cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, hot red pepper flakes, and coriander.
how to make Morrocan cauliflower meatballs
- Spiced tomato sauce. Open a jar of Prego Farmers’ Market® Roasted garlic sauce and pour in a saucer. Add the spices and let it simmer. Prego Farmers’ Market® sauce is made with the same ingredients you would find at a farmers’ market, they have no added sugar*, and they really taste delicious. Prego Farmers’ Market® sauces start with simple ingredients like vine-ripened tomatoes picked at the peak of freshness and blended to perfection for a homemade taste.
- Cauliflower meatballs. Sauté the cauliflower florets with the garlic and onion until it’s soft. Put in the food processor with the rest of the ingredients. Pulse until everything is well integrated, form the meatballs, and cook in a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat.
- To serve. Spoon sauce at the bottom of a plate, put two or three vegan cauliflower meatballs and drizzle some sauce on top. Finish with fresh herbs.
✎NOTE The sauce I used from Prego Farmers’ Market® is the roasted garlic variety. As you know, I love garlic, so I add fresh garlic to the meatballs, but feel free to skip since the sauce has great garlic flavor.
These cauliflower meatballs would be fantastic along a side of rice, couscous, quinoa, or carrot salad and a flatbread on the side. Anything that can absorb the delicious, robust flavors of the tomato sauce goes perfectly here.
These will keep in the fridge for about three to four days in a tightly closed container. They freeze pretty well after cooked, reheat in a skillet and serve with warm sauce.
So here is the recipe for these Morrocan cauliflower meatballs – I hope you like them as much as I do. They are delicious and come together in a pinch. When you make them, don’t forget to take a picture of them and share it on Instagram. If you want to do them later save the recipe on Pinterest.
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
Morrocan Cauliflower meatballs
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- ½ cup minced onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups rice or quinoa
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour or oat-flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons mint finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley finely chopped
- Olive oil for cooking the meatballs
- 1 jar Prego Farmers’ Market® Roasted garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Sauté the cauliflower with the onion and garlic in an 11" skillet with the olive oil at medium heat until all the vegetables are soft.
- Place the vegetables in the container of the food processor with the rice, flour, and salt. Pulse until all is well integrated. Add the fresh herbs and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Form the cauliflower meatballs and cook in a non-stick skillet drizzled with olive oil.
- In a saucepan, add the Prego Farmers’ Market® and the spices, simmer for 6 to 10 minutes or until all the flavors are well integrated.
- Serve by spooning sauce on a plate, then place two or three cauliflower meatballs on top, and drizzle a bit more sauce on top. Finish with chopped fresh herbs.
*Not a calorie reduced food. See nutrition facts panel for sugar and calorie content.