Normally the bolognese sauce is made with ground meat. This bolognese sauce is made with mushrooms and in a 100% plant-based version. It is so good, and it is something you have to try; you are really going to love it.
WHAT IS BOLOGNESE sauce?
In Italian cuisine, ragout is a pasta sauce made with tomato and ground meat. Each region in Italy has its own “authentic” recipe. These types of recipes are the ones that are passed from generation to generation. The bolognese sauce or ragú bolognese comes from the Bologna region and is usually served with wide pasta like the tagliatelle.
INGREDIENTS OF THE VEGAN BOLOGNESE SAUCE
- Olive oil.
- Onion, celery, and carrot.
- Red wine
- San Marzano tomatoes. If you buy them whole, destroy them with your hands, crush them. You can use the ones that are already chopped or passata (tomato puree).
- Water or milk (can be almond or oat milk)
- Bay leave
- Butter (I use vegan butter)
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST VEGAN BOLOGNESE SAUCE?
- It all starts with chopping the onion, carrot, and celery to the same size and sauté them in olive oil. If you add a pinch of salt to the soffrito, the vegetables will soften. Put on low heat, so they do not brown.
- Add the mushrooms; they will release liquid, that’s ok. Leave them until it evaporates.
- Add the wine and let it reduce.
- Add the can of San Marzano tomatoes, the milk or water (or a combination of both), the bay leaf, a pinch of salt, and leave it on low heat for 20-30 minutes uncovered.
- To finish, totally optional, add 2 tablespoons of vegan butter.
✎Tips, tricks and ideas • If you have too many mushrooms, go to this post to see what is the best way to prepare and eat them. • You can chop the onion, celery and carrot in the food processor and it is faster. If the mixture is too runny, just strain it before putting it in the pot with the olive oil. • You can also chop the mushrooms a bit in the food processor taking care that they do not become a paste. • Use the pasta that you like best, it can be spaghetti or fettuccine, tagliatelle or pappardelle. It would be really good with any.
WHAT TO SERVE PASTA BOLOGNESE WITH?
- Finish it with homemade vegan “parmesan” cheese or with chopped parsley and/or chopped oregano.
- Serve with a Caesar salad or a salad with a simple vinaigrette.
- Serve it with a fresh loaf of bread or non-knead homemade bread.
- And to drink … a delicious red wine.
It would also be incredible if you give it 5 stars and / or if you tell me how it went in the comments section; if you have doubts or ideas also put them there.
Pasta a la Bolognese
- 1 ib spaghetti or other pasta
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms I use cremini
- 1/2 cup red wine optional
- 1 20 -ounce can of San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 cup water or milk
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1 bay leave
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley to serve
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Boil the pasta according to the instructions .
- In a dutch oven add the oil, the chopped onion , carrot and celery and a good pinch of salt , leave for a few minutes over low heat.
- Add the mushrooms and leave until there is no liquid they begin to caramelize .
- Add the wine to the pot and let it evaporate for 5 minutes or so.
- Finally, add the can of tomatoes and a cup of water or milk. Check for salt and adjust if necessary. Add the butter and let it simmer uncovered for about 10-20 minutes.
- To serve , place on a platter cooked and sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with the mixture of aromatic herbs .
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This was a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Barilla in 2015. The opinions, pictures, and text are all mine.