A recipe for the perfect vegan french toast casserole that is made dairy-free and egg-free. This french toast casserole is perfect for breakfast or brunch.
About this French Toast casserole?
Crusty bread dipped in eggless vanilla-infused sweet custard, baked for 30 to 40 minutes, and then topped with a mix of vegan butter and cinnamon.
Serve with cashew or almond yogurt and a mix of fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. The best part of this recipe is that you can make it on a day off or a day ahead and let it sit in your refrigerator overnight.
This is why it is my go-to recipe for Mother’s day brunch – it is easy, delicious, and beautiful. And it’s best when made in the GE Profile wall oven, which you do not need to preheat. This is a function that I love because my dish can go from the refrigerator to the oven without the worry of it cracking into two parts or the need to let it sit on the counter until it gets to room temperature.
Some Ingredient notes
Silken tofu. This is perfect to use instead of eggs because it sets like custard, which is pretty nice and doesn’t make the bread soggy. This is how we make vegan french toast so perfect, quick, and easy. Do not use firm tofu, firm tofu us perfect for crispy tofu.
Crusty bread. The best bread for this french toast casserole is french bread, sourdough bread, homemdade bread, or any other stale bread. If you have a day-old or two-day-old bread, that is perfect; a fresh loaf of bread will give you a soggy consistency no matter what you do.
Other ingredients. Sugar, coconut oil, butter, vanilla, almond milk (or any other non-dairy milk), cornstarch, and a pinch of salt.
Butter and cinnamon for the topping.
🔥TIP If you are using a loaf of fresh bread, here is a tip for you. Place the slices directly on the oven racks and use the GE Profile oven AirFryer function at 350ºF. Let the bread heat for 3 minutes on each side.
How to make Vegan French Toast Bake
- First, you have to make the vegan custard by blending all the ingredients until smooth and pouring them in a bowl.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter, then dip each slice of bread into the custard and place each layer into the prepared baking dish . Pour the remaining custard into the baking dish . Make the butter cinnamon topping, spread on top, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place in the fridge for an hour to overnight.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until golden and perfect.
Ideas for serving
- Serve with yogurt and fresh berries like I did.
- Another option would be with maple syrup, sprinkled chopped nuts, and banana slices.
- Diced apples and a dash of nutmeg or other spices would be perfect here.
- Make a berry chia jam or a quick fruit sauce, or use cranberry sauce leftovers.
Tips and tricks
- Use gluten-free bread if you have a gluten allergy.
- Use coconut milk instead of almond milk if you want a bit more fat in the custard.
- Make bread cubes if you find them easier to serve.
- You could use a food processor instead of a blender to make the custard mixture.
Why are you going to love this recipe? And love it more with a GE Profile oven?
Because this recipe is the perfect hands-off breakfast combined with all the functionality of the GE profile wall oven, this vegan french toast casserole will be a true gift to you. With this oven, you can rest assured that your baked goods will be cooked evenly.
Also, because of the In-Oven CookCam, you can walk out of the kitchen with confidence and check the status of your bake wherever you are. And, if you are a multitasker like me, you will be more than happy to know that GE Profile appliances have Built-in Wifi that lets you control and monitor your appliance from your smartphone with the SmartHQ app. Yes, I know what you are thinking – this will give you, the freedom to set timers, adjust the temperature, check the status, or peek into the oven from any location.
Perfect Vegan French Toast Casserole
- Baking dish
- Mixing bowl
- 1 bread loaf cut into 8-12 thick slices
- 8 oz silken tofu
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Maple syrup
- Plain yogurt
- Mixed berries
- Grease a 9×13 in pan. Slice the loaf of bread and toast or air-fry if it’s fresh.
- Combine the tofu, coconut oil, non-dairy milk, vanilla, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a blender. Pour into a large bowl and submerge each bread slice on both sides.
- Arrange the bread in the prepared baking dish. Melt the butter and mix with the ground cinnamon, drizzle on top. Cover with plastic wrap or foil and place in the refrigerator for an hour or up to overnight.
- Bake at 350ºF for 35-40 minutes until the french toast is golden and crisp edges.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt, fresh berries and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.