This recipe for mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes with vegan chipotle queso is super healthy, easy to prepare, and perfect for any day of the week or special celebration.
Why you are going to love this recipe
Well, now that I think about it, my family loves mashed potatoes, and we eat them pretty often. At Christmas and Thanksgiving, mashed potatoes are a must at our table. This is not your typical sweet potato casserole with maple syrup, cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, dairy, etc.
This potato and sweet potato mash recipe is a savory one, it is vegan, a bit spicy, and once you taste it, you’ll have it over and over again.
And I love making this mash. It is so flavorful, and the leftovers are so easy to transform into taquitos or other delicious recipes.
how to make potato and sweet potatoes mash?
This is a classic and super simple recipe of potato and sweet potato mash but with a fun Latin twist.
- In a large pot over high heat, cook the potatoes and sweet potatoes in salty water until tender. Ok, but first you wash, peel and cut the vegetables before adding them to the pot.
- When soft and offer no resistance when pinched with a fork, mash them until they have the consistency you like. I like mine with tons of texture.
- Finish with crushed black pepper, more salt, and butter (I use vegan butter) or vegan sour cream. If you want them to be cremier but with less fat, you could use olive oil or the water where the potatoes cooked.
how to make vegan chipotle queso?
This vegan chipotle queso is the best, and it’s super easy to make; you only need three ingredients.
- Raw cashews. If you want a super creamy vegan chipotle queso, soak the cashews in warm water for three hours, rinse and use as the recipe indicates.
- Garlic powder.
- Chipotle peppers in adobo. You can buy paste of the whole chile chipotles in adobo sauce, either will work.
Other ways to use the vegan chipotle sauce:
- You can use it to make nachos, or drizzle it on top of roasted broccoli or anything else that comes to mind.
- Just drizzle it on top of anything for an amazing kick of flavor and creaminess.
- Before serving this mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes, drizzle the vegan chipotle queso on top and finish with chopped cilantro.
Other recipes that you may like:
How to store the mashed sweet potatoes?
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for over three days. This recipe does not freeze well. Same with the vegan chipotle queso, prepare in advance and store in the refrigerator in a tightly closed jar.
To reheat over medium-low heat over the stove. If you prefer to use, the oven put the sweet potato and potato mash in an oven-safe baking dish and cover with foil. Set the oven to medium temperature until entirely heated. In both cases, you will have to check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
So here is the recipe for a healthier and vegan version of mashed potatoes, mashed potatoes, and sweet potatoes with vegan chipotle queso.
You have no idea how much joy seeing you recreate my recipes brings to me. I also learn a lot from all of the changes that you make to them. Save in Pinterest if you want to prepare it later.
Mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes with vegan chipotle queso
- 2 large potatoes cut into pieces
- 2 large sweet potatoes cut into pieces
- 2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons of butter vegan butter
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of water from which the potatoes were cooked or almond milk or rice milk
Chipotle vegan cheese
- 1 cup unsalted and unroasted cashews raw
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of chipotle chile in adobo
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cover the pieces of potato and sweet potato with enough water and a teaspoon of salt. Leave covered until fully cooked.
- When fully cooked, drain them the water (saving about a cup of water), mash them and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend the cashews with the garlic powder, the chipotle chili pepper in adobo, the pinch of salt and half a cup of water. Blend until creamy.
- Serve the vegan chipotle queso on top of the puree.
- Use leftovers to make crispy tacos or tostadas.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.