Prepare a healthier version of traditional potato salad with this recipe for Potato Salad with Pesto. It contains the perfect blend of fresh ingredients, including potatoes, green beans, and almonds .
What Is Pesto?
Pesto is a type of sauce containing garlic, basil, pine nuts, and a few other ingredients. It is known for its signature green color. Pesto tastes great on pasta and in rice, but you can also use it to prepare fresh, healthy, and flavorful salad, such as this Potato Salad with Pesto recipe.
Ingredients Needed to Make the Potato Salad with Pesto
Prepare the Potato Salad with Pesto in no time using the following ingredients:
- Potatoes. Peel and cut your potatoes before adding them to the water to get them soft enough for the salad.
- Green Beans. Chop your green beans into small pieces before using them in this dish.
- Almonds . Use almonds to give your salad the perfect crunch.
- Jalapeño Pepper. Use at least ¼ of the jalapeño pepper. If you like it spicier, you can use the whole pepper.
The only other ingredients needed to prepare the Potato Salad with Pesto are basil, spinach, garlic, olive oil, and salt.
Can I Use Frozen Green Beans?
While this recipe calls for fresh green beans that you can add to your boiling water after boiling your potatoes, it is fine to use frozen green beans. If you would like to reduce cooking time, frozen green beans are a great option. They will still taste great and bring a flavorful crunch to this dish.
How Long Does It Take to Prepare the Potato Salad with Pesto?
It should take you 10 minutes to prepare the salad and 20 minutes for it to cook. In roughly 30 minutes, you can have this delicious Potato Salad with Pesto ready to eat and serve. It is that simple.
How to Store the Salad
Pour your salad into a large food storage container with a lid and put it in the refrigerator to give it time to chill. When stored properly, you can keep your salad fresh for up to five days. It is great to have for lunch or to serve as a side dish with other meals. If you want to make this salad in advance for a gathering, have all of the ingredientes cooked ahead of time in the fridge and at the last minute put together. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
TO BLANCH: cook them for a minute in boiling salted water and then you put them in cold water to stop them from cooking further.
Please don’t use canned green beans because they have been cooked already and they are usually pretty soggy.
Do I Have to Use Fresh Garlic?
While fresh minced garlic is definitely a great choice, you can use pre-minced garlic that you have purchased in a jar. If the jarred garlic is all you have available, it will still do the job of adding the perfect flavor to this recipe.
What to Do If the Pesto Comes Out Thick
If you happen to notice that your pesto is a bit thicker than you would like, all you have to do is add a bit of water to it. Add a tablespoon of water to the pesto to see how it looks. If you think it needs more water, add an additional tablespoon until it reaches the ideal consistency.
Tips and tricks to make the best salad:
- Feel free to use any pesto you have at home ( homemade or store-bought) or make the one in the recipe.
- Blanch the green beans first and in the same water cook the potatoes.
- You can use frozen green beans.
- This salad is good on its own or as a side dish. It is incredible with hamburgers or sandwiches.
Here is the recipe for this POTATO SALAD WITH PESTO and green beans. I love that this recipe is a little bit out there and breaks the mold from the typical potato salad smothered in mayo. If you like it, please share the recipe and my blog. Take a picture of your salad and share it on Instagram, FB or Pinterest.
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
Potato salad with pesto
- 4 cups potatoes cooked and diced
- 3 cups cooked green beans cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 of jalapeno pepper or whole if you like it very spicy
- 1 / 4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook the potatoes and the green beans. Leave aside to cool down.
- Put all the ingredients for the pesto in the blender and blend until it is all super well integrated.
- Add one tablespoon of water if the pesto is too thick or the blender does not run well.
- In a large bowl mix the potatoes, green beans, and pesto.
- Finish the salad with coarse salt, chiffonade basil, and chopped almonds.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.