In my fridge, you’ll always find a jar filled with quick Mexican pickled red onions. It is a staple in my home, and we use on tacos, salads, soups…
For me, having a jar of
Some times, when I’m preparing lunch for my self, I just add some quinoa or rice in a bowl, add some beans or lentils, greens, some type of dressing, half an avocado and top it all with some onion slices. And… BAM!!! Without any effort, I just have a magical and amazing lunch.
These onions are so easy to prepare, and as I told you before, just a little goes a long way. There are tons of recipes and tons of different ways to make them. This is the recipe that we do at home and the recipe that my mom and grandma always prepared. It is a Mexican authentic recipe that happens to be vegan, delicious and perfect for everything.
Tips and ideas on how to use them:
- They are the BEST on top of SOPES (here is a complete post on how to make
- You could finish enchiladas with them.
- Or if you want another punch of flavor on a VEGAN CEVICHE you could top it with the pickled onions
- Or if you want just a quick salad for lunch or dinner you can always do a quick bowl with rice, beans, greens, a yummy dressing and these onions.
So here is the recipe for these
quick Mexican pickled red onions
and I hope you like them as much as we do. But most of all, what I am most helpful of is that you can uplevel your meal with this quick recipe. If you like this please share the blog, post a picture on Instagram, on Facebook or save it for later on Pinterest.
Mexican pickled red onions
- 2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 bay leave
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 red onions medium-sized, thinly sliced
- 1-2 limes juice
- Boil the water with the vinegar, bay leaf, pinch of salt and oregano. When the water is boiling vigorously, turn it off and add the onions.
- Let it cool completely and strain.
- Add the onion into a jar or other glass container and finish with the juice of a lime and a pinch of salt. It should be a bit salty and with a good punch of the lime juice at the end.
- Taste or seasoning and adjust if necessary.