In my fridge, you’ll always find a jar filled with quick Mexican pickled red onions. It is a staple in my home, and we use it on tacos, salads, soups, tortas, sandwiches, soups. We use them everywhere.
Why will you love this recipe?
For me, having a jar of
Sometimes, when I’m preparing lunch for myself, I add some quinoa or rice in a bowl, add some beans or lentils, greens, some dressing, half an avocado, and top it all with some onion slices. And… BAM!!! Without any effort, I have a magical and fantastic lunch. These Mexican pickled onions are a must for cochinita pibil tacos, tacos dorados Sinaloa style, and many more authentic Mexican dishes. In Spanish they are called cebollas encurtidas or cebollas en vinagre.
How to make Mexican pickled red onions?
- Slice red onions into thin rounds.
- Boil water, white vinegar, and herbs. If you want to get a bit more taste out of the herbs, you can lightly toast them on a griddle or pan. Be careful not to burn them.
- When the water is boiling, turn the heat off and add the sliced red onion until they’re submerged in liquid and let them cool. In some states in Mexico, they use white onion for this condiment. Use what you have on hand.
- When the onions are completely cooled down, strain them and put them in a jar or glass container.
- Squeeze lime juice, taste for seasoning. Adjust if needed. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before use. Enjoy.
Tips and tricks to make the best Mexican pickled onions
These pickled onions are so easy to prepare, and as I told you before, just a little goes a long way. There are tons of recipes and tons of different ways to make them. This is the recipe that we do at home and the recipe that my mom and grandma always prepared. It is a Mexican authentic recipe that happens to be vegan, delicious, and perfect for everything.
- Use a glass container to store this mexican pickled onions, also it is best to use stainless steel, ceramic or glass bowls to make them. This recipe has a lot of acid that could make other materials breech.
- I love to use a Mexican lime/lemon squeezer. No only it is super efective to get all the juice out, it also make some of the oils and great flavors from the peel come out.
- Wait at least 30 minutes before serving them.
Tips and ideas on how to use this Mexican condiment?
- They are the BEST on top of SOPES (here is a complete post on how to make
- You could finish enchiladas with them.
- Or if you want another punch of flavor on a VEGAN CEVICHE you could top it with the pickled onions
- Or if you want just a quick salad for lunch or dinner you can always do a quick bowl with rice, beans, greens, a yummy dressing and these onions.
So here is the recipe for these quick Mexican pickled red onions, and I hope you like them as much as we do. But most of all, I am most happy to share this recipe with you because you can uplevel your meal with this quick pickled Mexican red onions recipe. So if you like this, please share the blog, post a picture on Instagram, Facebook, or save it for later on Pinterest.
I would love to hear you comments on the comment secction below and if your rate this recipe would be great.
Mexican pickled red onions
- 2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 bay leave
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 red onions medium-sized, thinly sliced
- 1-2 limes juice
- Boil the water with the vinegar, bay leaf, pinch of salt and oregano. When the water is boiling vigorously, turn it off and add the onions.
- Let it cool completely and strain.
- Add the onion into a jar or other glass container and finish with the juice of a lime and a pinch of salt. It should be a bit salty and with a good punch of the lime juice at the end.
- Taste or seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.