This Asian red cabbage salad has everything you need to be happy, really. It has an incredible flavor that explodes in your mouth every bite you take, it has many benefits, and you can eat it alone or accompany it with your favorite Asian flavors.
Why will you love this salad?
Probably this is one of the salads I eat the most during the summer. It is simple, delicious, and amazing as is or as a side dish. You should try it with steamed rice or noodles… it really is AMAZING. Besides, red cabbage or purple cabbage is within the cruciferous family and has excellent health properties; it is powerful in fighting against cancer.
How to cut red cabbage for Asian slaw?
The best way to cut cabbage is to cut the whole head into four parts and then remove each part’s core. Then, remove the outer leaves that look a bit wilted or have dark spots on them, then thinly slice each quart. A small trick to make the most of all the incredible properties of red cabbage is to let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes after you cut it. This activates the potent antioxidants that it has, the power that make it a SUPERFOOD.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THE Asian red cabbage SALAD
- Red cabbage, look for a cabbage head that is heavy and firm. The fresher the better the salad will taste.
- Basil, like cabbage, use the freshest basil leaves you can find. If you do not have it, you can substitute mint or cilantro.
- Cashews , peanuts, or almonds , the idea is that the salad has something crunchy in each bite and also boost its nutritional benefits.
- Soy sauce, use the one you like best, you can also use tamari or soyu sauce.
- Toasted sesame oil, I am always asked if it has to be toasted and the answer is no. But if you want that depth of flavor that only toasted seeds have, use roasted sesame.
- Rice vinegar, it is better to use one without seasoning so that you can have total control of the amount of salt you want, but the same as with soy sauce, use the one you have at home.
- Maple or agave syrup. You just need a touch of sweetness to balance everything out.
How to make the Asian red cabbage salad?
What I usually do is that I cut all of my red cabbage and place it in a bowl. Then I prepare the rest of the ingredients for the salad. I mix all the dressing ingredients in a bowl, chop the cashews , and cut the basil. Then I add the dressing to the red cabbage and mix, and to finish it, I top it with the chopped cashews and basil. Taste and adjust the flavors if needed.
How to eat the slaw?
So if you want to use this salad as a side dish, it would be perfect with anything you like. You also can eat it on top of steamed rice or quinoa and add more vegetables to make a Budha bowl, for example. It is also delicious with the Thai basil lentils or the spring rolls.
So here is the recipe for this Asian red cabbage salad with basil and cashews and I hope you like it. If you do, please take a picture and share it on FB or Instagram so I can see your beautiful creation and share it with my readers.
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or a rating of this recipe in the comment section. Also, please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
Asian red cabagge salad
- Salad bowl
- 3 cups sliced red cabbage
- 3/4 cup basil
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Add the sliced purple cabbage to a bowl. In a separate bowl mix the soy sauce, the sesame oil, the rice vinegar and the maple syrup. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Add the dressing to the sliced red cabbage and mix. Top with the basil and cashews.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.