There is nothing more Mexican than a good red salsa molcajeteada. This recipe for salsa molcajeteada is a guide for you to use and make the salsa of your dreams. This salsa has a lot of texture, a lot of flavor and my recipe is not very spicy. But as I said, adapt to your liking. It is perfect to eat with chips or to finish Mexican dishes.
WHAT IS a salsa molcajeteda?
A salsa molcajeteada is simply a sauce made in a molcajete. This type of salsa can be made with just chiles, or garlic and chili peppers, tomatillos, or tomato and onion like this one.
For the salsas in a molcajete, you can use raw ingredients, roasted ingredients, or cooked. It can also be a combination of both: cooked and raw.
✨NOTE✨ Salsas in Mexico do not have an exact recipe. The way I see them is a combinations of ingredients and they are all delicious. Normally each family, each person has their own "recipe" or way of making their favorite salsa. And that is the beauty salsas and some other recipes of the Mexican cuisine.
WHAT IS A MOLCAJETE?
A molcajete is the mortar and pestle of Mexico. Since the time of our ancestors, it has been used to grind, cook, or even serve food.
The authentic molcajetes are made of one piece of volcanic stone; they usually are round and have three legs to make them stand.
The first time you buy a molcajete you have to “cure” it. The way to do it is with raw white rice. The rice is put in the basin/molcajete and with the tejolote (the pestle) it is broken up in the base. The idea is to soften it and cover the porousness of the stone.
💡💡What is molcajetear? Molcajetear (in Mexico we made it a verb) is the action of grinding ingredients in the molcajete with the tejolote. The ingredients are pressed against the walls of the molcajete with the tejolote to grind them. This action brings out the natural flavors and oils of the ingredients and gives another level of flavor to everything we prepare in an authentic molcajete.
INGREDIENTS OF THE RED Salsa MOLCAJETEADA
Tomato. Look for ripe tomatoes with a lots of flavor. For me, it is easier to use small tomatoes or Roma tomatoes to make this red molcajete salsa. It is easier to grind or molcajetear them if they are small.
Onion. The onion is the most difficult to grind. It is important that it is well roasted so that it falls apart easier. You can also chop it just before you add it to the molcajete.
Chile serrano. You can substitute for jalapeño peppers and it will still be very tasty. Don’t be afraid to fully roast the serrano peppers. Charing them gives them a smokey special flavor.
Salt. Use sea salt or kosher salt.
STEPS to “molcajetear” THE salsa
- Start with the chilies, grind them until the base of the molcajete is covered.
- Then with put the onion and grind it until it has the size you want. You can put a pinch of salt in it since the salt helps it soften a little more the fibers in the onion. If you cut it into pieces after roasting it, it will be easier to molcajetear.
- Finally, add, the tomato and “molcajetea” grind them until they look perfect to you.
- Taste for seasoning, adjust if necessary and enjoy.
HOW TO EAT THE MOLCAJETEADA SAlsa?
- To finish dishes. This molcajete red sauce can be eaten with whatever you like the most or a dish that lacks flavor or needs a boost. In my house, we use this sauce for quesadillas, for tacos, to make scrambled tofu, to top crispy potato tacos, sopes, or tostadas.
- Snack. Also, this molcajete red sauce is perfect to serve as a snack. I leave it in the molcajete and put aside corn chips and guacamole. If you serve it as a snack, have a drink like :
So here is the recipe and I hope you like it as much as we do. When you make it, take a photo of it and share it onor . If you want to prepare this salsa later, save it on and don’t forget to give it five stars, so more people can find it on the internet.
Red salsa molcajeteada
- 5 tomatoes small or roma
- 1 onion small
- 1-3 serrano chiles or jalapeño
- pinch of salt
- Char all the ingredients on a griddle on all sides.
- If using a molcajete, start by grinding the chiles, then add the onions and lastly the tomatoes. Add a pinch of salt and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- If using a blender, add all the ingredients and blend in medium speed until all the ingredients are chuncky and well blended.