I make this simple vinaigrette once a week for my family. I usually prepare it on the weekends as I do my meal planning for the week.
What is a vinaigrette?
It is a dressing, a very simple mix between an oil base and an acid, usually vinegar or lemon juice. The ratio that I use is one part acid, two to three parts of oil. I like very tangy and robust flavors, so I usually will use apple cider vinegar or wine kinds of vinegar. This mixture can be enhanced with dijon mustard, fresh or dried herbs, nuts and seeds, salt and aromatics.
how to use a vinaigrette?
Having a basic salad dressing in the fridge helps me and my kids eat more fresh vegetables during the week. This recipe is so versatile, and it is perfect to drizzle on top of:
- Pasta salads
- Raw veggies
- Greens like spinach, arugula, kale, collard greens
- Roasted vegetables like broccoli, string beans, artichokes, asparagus, cauliflower
- Buddha bowls ( a buddha bowl is a bowl with a grain like brown rice, a protein or bean-like chickpeas, roasted vegetables, greens, and a delicious dressing).
How to flavor a vianigrette?
When you have the perfect ration between oil and acid in your vinaigrette you can start adding more flavors to it. Adding ingredients will not only elevate the flavor of the dressing, but it will also elevate its nutritional value.
- Raw garlic: you can press garlic with a garlic presser or grate it with a Microplane zester
- Other aromatics like scallions, shallots
- You can add lemon zest, orange zest
- Seeds, like hemp seeds, poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, or pepita seeds.
- You can add dry spices like orégano, dill, marjoram or fresh like cilantro, mint, parsley
- Some type of sweeteners like maple syrup, agave or even sugar
- You can add nuts like pistachios, walnuts.
- For example, hazelnuts.
✎TIP: If you buy raw nuts and seeds, roast them at low heat in cast iron pan and then peel them with a kitchen towel before adding them to the dressing.
How to store it?
Just keep it in a tightly closed jar in the fridge. Depending on what you add to it it is the time it will keep fresh in the fridge. If you flavor it with dry spices or flavored salt it will last longer. If you add nuts and seed it will keep fresh for a shorter time.
So, here is the recipe for this delicious and super easy to prepare
once a week simple vinaigrette
It would be incredible if you rate the recipe and /or leave your comments, questions, suggestions, or requests in the comment section. I love hearing from you, 😉.
Once a week simple vinaigrette
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup avocado oil or other neutral tasting oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove pressed or minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup toasted hazelnuts roughly chopped
- In a jar with a lid mix the olive oil, avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic clove, teaspoonfuls mustard and salt and pepper. Cover and mix until everything is integrated. Add hazelnuts and serve over your favorite greens or salad.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate; the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.