These smashed potatoes with kimchi-mayo are perfect as a side dish for dinner or as an appetizer during the weekend with friends. This vegan potato dish is easy to make and fun to eat.
WHY are they called smashed POTATOES?
These potatoes are called like that because you literally smash them after they are cooked. You smash them and then bake again. They come out of the oven, the second time, crispy on the edges and soft on the inside. But, let me tell you how to make these mashed potatoes. It’s easy and really fun.
✎TIP: what kind of potato is the best? Look for small potatoes and that when they are cooked they are soft and even creamy. I like fingerling potatoes, Galena potatoes or Creole potatoes. Look for small chips, the smallest you can find.
4 STEPS TO MAKE CRUSHED POTATOES
- First, you have to choose small potatoes, wash and dry them thoroughly. Put them on a baking sheet.
- Second, put in the oven with a little oil and salt. Leave until done, until soft on the inside when pinched with a cake tester or fork.
- Third. Take them out of the oven, smash them with a wooden or stainless steel turner, or with the bottom part of a glass.
- Fourth. Put them back in the oven to brown.
HOW TO MAKE THE KIMCHI-MAYO?
This recipe for kimchi mayo is super easy, and it is so good. To make it, you just put all the ingredients in the blender or the food processor . Pulse and done.
- Mayonnaise, I use homemade mayonnaise from aquafaba.
- Roasted sesame oil
- Soy sauce
- Lemon juice
WHAT IS KIMCHI?
Kimchi is a traditional Korean dish of seasoned and fermented vegetables. Traditional kimchi is made with Napa cabbage, garlic, ginger, and other spices including chili peppers. In Korea, this dish is used as a side dish or to finish dishes.
🔥 IMPORTANT NOTE🔥 Not all kimchis are vegan, there are several types depending on the region they are from. It is important that you read the labels of the jars you buy. There are different types of kimichi and some have fish or anchovies paste or shrimp powder.
How do you know when the potatoes are done the second time you bake them? When you take the smashed potatoes out of the oven the second time, they should be golden brown on the edges. They look a bit dry, but do not worry, it’s only on the outside.
When you see them like this, they are ready for you to finish with the kimchi mayo and other ingredients. I finish them with thinly sliced scallions, with sesame seeds, chopped cilantro, jalapeño slices, and a squeeze of lime juice.
✨GIVE IT A TWIST • If you like spicy food, instead of adding slices of jalapeño, add a lot finely chopped serrano peppers. • Top it with more chopped kimchi or Go-Chu-Jang sauce. •If you don't like potatoes you could serve your brown rice the same way. Topped with the kimchi mayo and finished with scallions, cilantro and jalapeños.
So here is the recipe for these smashed potatoes with kimchi mayo and I hope you like them very, very much. When you make them, take a photo of it and share it on Instagram or FB. It would also be amazing if you saved it on Pinterest to do later and gave them ✨5✨stars.
Smashed potatoes with kimchi mayo
- 1 lb fingerling potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise homemade or store-bought
- 1/4 cup kimchi add more if you like
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- pinch of salt
- chopped cilantro
- sliced scallions
- lime juice
- jalapeno slices
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Put the potatoes on a baking sheet, add the oil and salt. Use your hands to cover them well. Bake for 15-20 minutes or when the chops are soft.
- While the potatoes are in the oven, make the kimchi mayo.Put the kimchi, mayonnaise, sesame oil, soy sauce, and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor along with the pinch of salt.Turn on and let it run until it has a creamy consistency.
- Chop the cilantro, jalapeño and scallions. Set aside.
- Check the potatoes and if they are already soft on the inside, remove from the oven. Being very careful not to burn yourself, crush the potatoes with a wooden turner, with the bottom of a glass or with your hands and a kitchen towel.
- Put the potatoes in the oven again to brown for about 10 more minutes. When they are golden on the edges they are done.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and finish with the kimchi mayo, the chives, the cilantro, the jalapeño, the lemon juice.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.