This is actually a spaghetti and bean-balls with tomato sauce recipe, it is the kind of recipe that brings everybody back to the table. I love this type of dishes, where you make everybody around you feel spoiled, comfort food at its best.
I mean, what is it NOT to love of spaghetti and
meatballs beanballs. It is an Italian typical dish that everybody loves. I made this recipe last night when we finally got together as a family, I also love to prepare this recipe because you could easily double it and freeze the extras.
My kids, every time we have leftovers for dinner they start complaining. I am super aware that this is WRONG and that I am creating food monsters!! 😉 But this dish is one of the only ones that they could have every night. They even cheer when I say “Spaghetti and beanballs again!”
This is my version of this very, very popular dish. It is savory, easy, healthy and my version is vegan. I hope everybody in your house likes it as much as they do in mine.
If you like it please share, hopefully, it will bring a lot of families back to the table.
Spaghetti and beanballs
- 1/2 cup small diced onion
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic coves halved
- 1 can of diced tomatoes 28 oz
- 1 can of tomato puree 28 oz
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces mushrooms I cremini use, but can be others
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cup cooked black beans or lentils
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chopped fresh basil to serve
- To make the sauce add the olive oil in a saucepan over low-medium heat and onion. Leave it for a while until the onion becomes totally translucent, add a teaspoon of salt and leave for about five minutes, until completely smooth.
- Add the tomato paste and cook until it changes color.
- Empty the two cans of tomato and add the halved garlic cloves. Leave it until it begins to release some boil bubbles, turn down the heat and leave it there until ready to use. Move occasionally to prevent scorching.
- Boil water for pasta, follow the instructions on the package.
- To make meatballs, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the food processor with the metal blade, chop the garlic, just give this tiny pulse until finly chopped, add the mushrooms and pulse several times until chopped but not ground, add the rice and beans and pulse until a dough forms with texture.
- Add the tamari sauce, oregano and bread crumbs and mix with a spatula or a spoon (not the food processor). Begin to form the meatballs and place them in a pan prepared with baking paper or silicone mat.
- If you feel that the mixture is very smooth and the meatballs can't be formed. Add an extra tablespoon of bread crumbs until the consistency is better.
- Put them in the oven for 15-20 min. or until firm to the touch. Let them cool slightly before removing from the pan so they hold their shape when serving.
- When the pasta is cooked put it in a pasta serving platter.
- Take away the garlic from the sauce and check for seasoning. When ready, pour it over the pasta, add the beanballs and sprinkle with chopped basil.
[inlinkz_linkup id=548736 mode=1]