This spinach strawberry salad is the perfect demonstration that Latin flavors go with everything. Let me tell you why.
Do you ever think it was possible a spinach and strawberry salad with lemon and chipotle dressing? I would have never imaged it, but lately, the more I cook with strawberries, the more I realize how easy it is to include them in everything.
Strawberries can be roasted, baked, eaten raw, pickled… everything! They really are wonderful.
I made this spinach salad with a Latin touch for an event I had with the California Strawberry Commission. We needed to make a super healthy recipe, an original salad, with a fresh feel, and a Latin touch.
In my mind, a Latin dressing always has to have lemon and some spice to it. And you know that I am a super fan of chipotle chile peppers. I love the smoky taste they have.
But… did you know that a chipotle pepper is a super-ripe jalapeño pepper? So ripe that it turns red, and then they smoke it to dry it out. Once it’s dry, they make it into powder or put it in a marinade or adobo sauce.
So, I knew I wanted chipotle peppers in this Latin inspired salad dressing and lime and chipotle peppers are perfect together. (Do you remember the chipotle-lime braised potatoes?) So the dressing for this spinach with strawberry salad came together really fast.
And the rest of the recipe quickly came together almost immediately with the rest of the ingredients after tasting the chipotle-lime dressing. Spinach is the best and very nutritious, cilantro had to be in the salad, because what is a Latin recipe without cilantro? The fresh flavor that it gives in each bite is excellent, and it also has many benefits. Did you know that cilantro helps our body detox heavy metals out?
I also added quinoa to the spinach salad, which is lovely. Quinoa has superpowers that fill us with clean protein for strength and health all day.
I then added pepita seeds for extra crunch and more nutrition.
And to finish this vegan spinach salad, I added avocado and sliced strawberries. The idea of having strawberries is that they work as croutons do, but of course in a fresh and healthier way. I love the crunchy texture of strawberries, and how beautiful they look when they’re sliced in the salad.
Tips ideas & other recipes
- How to prepare chipotle paste? To be able to use the paste in recipes such as creamy tomato soup with chipotle and make it easier, I blend a can of chipotles and turn it into a paste. I keep this paste in the fridge, and from there, I add it to everything.
- To make the quinoa super crunchy to give flavor and texture to the salad, cook a cup of quinoa with 1 ¾ cup of water. When it is almost ready, meaning that there’s virtually no liquid remaining, turn off the heat. Let it cool, and when all the liquid has been absorbed … fluff it with a fork.
- Do you remember the theory of eating the colors of the rainbow? Well, this super colorful salad has a lot of colors, a lot of flavors, and we know where all the ingredients come from it.
- Here are other recipes with strawberries: Strawberry scones, summer salad, strawberry margarita, mango paletas with strawberries.
Now tell me, do you dare to try this salad which is pure magic in every bite?
As always, I’ll give you the recipe, which is super easy to make.
Spinach Strawberry Salad with Lime-Chipotle dressing
I hope you like it as much as I do, and I hope it encourages you to prepare more salad like this. Super different salads that make us feel good and make our days better. Share this recipe on Instagram, Fb or save it for later on Pinterest.
Spinach strawberry salad with a chipotle-lime dressing
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ⅛ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon chipotle paste *see notes
- Zest of one lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 handfuls of chopped spinach
- 1 – 1 ½ cup sliced strawberries
- 1 avocado pitted and cubbed
- 1/4 cup raw pepitas pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup loose cilantro leaves
- Put the quinoa and water in a small saucepan with a lid over low heat. Until the water is evaporated, turn it off and leave it covered. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the ingredients for the dressing. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork until entirely loose and cooled.
- In a large bowl, add the spinach and the cilantro leaves, and dressing. Mix well.
- Top the spinach with the sliced strawberries, the quinoa, and the avocado.
- Finish the salad with the raw pumpkin seeds
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.