This recipe for summer sangria does not have sugar added but it is equally delicious than the traditional recipe. It is a delicious, light, bright, and super fresh drink. There is a secret to make it though.
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS for SANGRIA?
There is not an exact recipe for sangrías, each family has its own recipe. Besides it is is so easy to make that you can make it with whatever wine or fruit you have at home. I do think of them as Mexican aguas frescas. Agua frescas are made with ripe fruit you have around. Here are the basic ingredients for a white sangría:
- Sangria is always made with wine, whether it is white wine, red wine or rosé wine or any sparkling wine such as Cava or Prosecco.
- It has fruit: chopped or sliced. The fruit can be seasonal, citruses or even frozen fruit. I made this summer sangria with peaches and green apple.
- Some recipes have a liqueur, it can be brandy, or I’ve seen recipes that even have rum.
- They have some sweetener; it can be sugar, a lemon, or apple soda or fruit juice.
🔥IMPORTANT NOTE Not all wine is vegan, check the labels and look for one that is.
So now let me tell you why this sangría is light, no sugar added, and its secret to making it delicious.
ingredients of this summer sangria:
- Rosé. Look for a rosé wine with fruity profiles and is not dry, any wine you have at home works.
- Sparkling water. I add just a splash of sparkling water in it because I don’t like soft drinks or very sweet drinks (I don’t like them, and I also think it’s the least healthy thing there can be). This sangria also works well if you add flavored sparkling water, experiment with flavors like lemon, grapefruit, orange or berry.
- Fruit. Sangria is perfect for using overripe fruit. This is one of my secrets, use very sweet fruit. For this sangria, I used slices of nectarine, green apple, and mint leaves.
Tips for making the best summer sangria
- Liquids. Use super cold wine, likewise your sparkling water. I don’t use ice in my sangria because the flavors will dilute, that’s why I use super-cold liquids.
- Pitcher or glass. You can prepare this recipe both ways. It is one of the things that I like about this recipe. You can prepare it in a large pitcher with lots of fruit or in individual glasses.
- If you make it in a pitcher it is better to use frozen fruit so it doesn’t get hot. Sangria is best taken when very cold.
- Fruit. Cut the fruit just before putting it in the glass or pitcher. Fruits like pears and apples can oxidize very fast. If using frozen fruits, make it with frozen peaches, frozen grapes, frozen strawberries or frozen mango to keep it cold.
- Sweetener. As I told you before, I do not add sugar, but if you need more sugar than the one that comes from the fruit, add 1/4 cup or to your liking.
This summer sangría is the perfect drink when eating:
- Guacamole or mango guacamole
- Pineapple pico de gallo
- Pulled mushroom sandwich with homemade bbq sauce
- Tuna-less sandwich
So here is the recipe for this summer drink sangria, fresh, sugar-free, delicious, which is the light version of the original recipe. If you like it, please share the recipe and the blog and don’t forget to tell me how it went. Share a photo on Instagram, Fb or save it for later on Pinterest.
It would also be incredible if you give it 5 stars and/or tell me how it went in the comments section; if you have questions or ideas, write them here.
- 1 750 ml. bottle icy rosé wine
- 1 250 ml. bottle of ice cold sparkiling water
- 1 green apple very thinly sliced
- 1 nectarine or peach sliced
- mint leaves
- Slice the apple and the peach or nectarine with a mandolin or a super sharp knife. It is essential that the slices just before use so that they do not rust.
- In a glass, put a few slices of nectarine or peach, a few apple slices, and serve the rosé wine halfway through the glass.
- Add a splash of sparkling water to each glass and finish with the mint leaves.