This recipe for healthy black bean and sweet potato chili is the perfect meal to prepare with pantry staple ingredients. It is delicious, spicy and very easy to prepare.
Don’t you just love a big pot of soup? I love soups, any kind of soup, I just love them. I love getting back home from a cold or rainy day and knowing that a huge bowl of soup will be waiting for me always makes me smile.
This vegan sweet potato chili is very easy to prepare and it turns out very good. Its flavor is smokey, hearty and very satisfying.
If you love sweet potatoes or just need a little extra inspiration on how to cook them or how to eat them… here are other recipes that I’ve made with them:
- Healthy loaded Sweet potatoes, these are stuffed with lentils, Mexican salsa verde and topped with vegan “crema“… yum.
- sweet potatoes with bbq lentils and chipotle slaw, these are delicious and perfect for lunch or dinner
- potato and sweet potato puree, this recipe is delicious and very easy to prepare. The puree is topped with a creamy vegan chipotle sauce… yum… to die for.
Here are some tips and tricks to make the chili:
- Use homecooked beans or canned beans, it will turn out delicious with any
- Same with the tomatoes, use fresh or canned tomatoes. You could even use fire-roasted tomatoes or another type of canned tomatoes that you have on hand.
- The recipe calls for black beans, but it will also be fantastic with garbanzo beans, navy beans, lentils or a mix of all.
- If you use canned beans just rinse them before adding them to the pot.
- Serve with tortilla chips, homemade vegan crema, and avocado.
Sweet potatoes are a very healthy vegetable that you can use in a million ways, sweet-savory, in a salad, as a side dish or as a main meal. In the picture below is the final version of the healthiest and easiest black bean and sweet potato chili ever!
Here is the recipe for this
healthy black bean and sweet potato chili
I hope you like it if you do please share, the recipe, and the blog through Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest. You can also subscribe to my newsletter, and receive a new healthy vegan recipe in your inbox every week. When you subscribe, you’ll get my 1o favorite healthy tips to start revolutionizing your health.
Healthy black bean and sweet potato chili
- 1 tablespoon neutral tasting oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potatoes cut into medium sized pieces
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, whole or chopped
- 2 cups water
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add onion and garlic, constantly stirring to prevent sticking. Add salt, cumin, chili powder, and oregano. Leave for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the sweet potatoes, leave for about three minutes. Add the tomatoes, water, and beans.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Check for seasoning, adjust if necessary.
- Serve with avocado pieces, chopped cilantro and tortilla chips, rice or quinoa.