This mashed cauliflower recipe is the perfect alternative if you don’t eat mashed potatoes, are on a low-carb or keto diet. It’s amazing how versatile cauliflower is and how much we can do with it. This recipe is the tastiest creamy cauliflower purée you’ll find. It is garlicky, straightforward to make, and perfect as a side dish.
ingredients for the cauliflower mashed
- Cauliflower. Look for fresh, firm heads of cauliflower. Check that the leaves are green and that the florets do not have mold spots.
- Garlic. I like to put garlic when I cook the cauliflower. This lifts the flavor of the cauliflower and makes it richer and tastier.
- Liquid. You can use water, almond milk, oat milk, or vegetable broth.
- Salt and pepper. I use kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Olive oil or butter
- Aromatic herbs. You can use chives, parsley, basil, or oregano.
Ho to make mashed cauliflower?
- Cook one head of cauliflower with garlic cloves with some liquid
- Puree the cauliflower and garlic cloves with salt, pepper and add a drizzle of olive oil at the end.
- IMPORTANT NOTE, do not add all the liquid that remains in the pot when pureeing the cauliflower. Add slowly the liquid if you blend it and the blender is not running properly.
- To finish, sprinkle it with fresh herbs.
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil or a tablespoon of butter (I use vegan).
Tips and varations
- You can make cauliflower mashed potatoes for a denser puree.
- You can mix it with cream cheese.
- You can mix it with sour cream or mayonnaise if you want a creamier
- Leave the recipe as is if you want a light cauliflower puree
- You can mix frozen spinach or any other greens
- Finish it with vegan chipotle cream or poblano crema
- For a garlic mashed cauliflower, add more garlic cloves.
other recipes that you may like
If you want to make this later, save it on Pinterest. It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
The tastiest Cauliflower Mashed
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- fresh herbs to finish chives parsely, thyme
- Cut the cauliflower into large pieces and peel the garlic
- Put the cauliflower florets, garlic cloves and liquid in a pot. Leave for 15-20 minutes or until the cauliflower is completely soft.
- Take out the cauliflower and garlic and put in the food processor or blender. You could also use an immersion blender.
- Add salt, black pepper, and olive oil. Blend and if you need more liquid add the liquid that was left in the pot.
- Taste and adjust the flavor if necessary.
- Finish with black pepper, salt and a dash of olive oil. Sprinkle with finely chopped fresh herbs.