I love recipes that work for different things. I made these scones for breakfast and the colors were perfect for today to celebrate the 4th of July, yeap, Independence Day of USA, so I turned them into dessert too. Well, the idea that they were the perfect colors for today is Sofia’s.
She said “Mommy, please write in your blog that these make dessert for today, they have the perfect colors to celebrate the 4th of July.” I love that they all help me with my blog. For sure what they do more is testing recipes, I tell them that they are professional food testers and eaters.
And now, having all of my three profesional eaters at home, everything flies from the fridge and pantry again. Sometimes I feel I shop for an army. I have to cook like for ten persons to leave all of my kids satisfied and without hunger pains.
I’ve already said this a thousand times and I will keep saying it, it’s okay to eat desserts, and breads and everything you want as long as you prepare your own food at home. So you can control the amount of sugar, quality ingredients and do not use things that you do not need or are bad for your body. But please, do not use pre-prepared mixes. The ones that you just add water or milk or whatever. The rule applies when you do things from SCRATCH.
These scones are made with berries, 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 cup of oat flour (more fiber, more vitamins, etc.) with coconut oil and two tablespoons of sugar. The recipe calls for half a cup, but if you are in a low-sugar mode, 2 tablespoons will do it. Here is the recipe, and I hope you like it. Please do not forget to tell me how it went and how you prepared them, with half a cup of sugar or with just a few tablespoons. Or if you ate them for breakfast or dessert.
Two berry scones
- 1 1/4 cup of rice milk or almond
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 cup ground oats grouned
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup blueberries
- 2/3 cup sliced strawberries
- To serve:
- strawberries and blueberries
- * coconut whipped cream recipe notes
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large measuring cup measure the milk and add the vinegar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add all the powders and sugar, mix well.
- Add the oil and with your hands, mix well. The consistency you're looking for is like wet sand. Mix well and dissolve any flour clumps.
- Make a well in center of mixture and empty the milk and the vanilla. Now, with a wooden paddle or spoon, mix well.
- When everything is well integrated add fruit and blend carefully so they do not break.
- In a pan prepared with a silicone mat or baking paper divide dough into 6 large scones or 12 smaller ones, as you prefer.
- Put them in the oven for 20 min. or until firm and golden brown top.
- Let them cool before tasting or eating.