You have to try this vegan aguachile. I’ll give you the recipe in a minute, but first, let me tell you what is AGUACHILE.
What is aguachile?
Aguachile is an amazing Mexican dish, think as it as a type of ceviche. Aguachile is normally made with raw fish or shrimp, but unlike the ceviche, the protein is not left in the lime sauce to “cook” for 15 minutes. Aguachile is meant to be served immediately after preparing it.
The sauce made with lime juice, chile, cilantro, and cucumbers. It is fresh, easy and full of vitamins and minerals, the kind of food that makes you feel full of energy and even makes you wanna dance a bit.
My version of aguachile has the same vibrant ingredients in a sauce as the traditional Mexican dish. But my vegan aguachile version is made with cauliflower, and it is absolutely delicious.
Just imagine tiny raw cauliflower florets with an amazingly fresh and spicy lime sauce with crunchy cucumber and red onion slices. Sounds good right?
“In this post you’ll learn how to make vegan aguachile, a classic Mexican dish veganized.”
Tips, tricks & other recipes
In this list, you will find some tricks on how to make the best aguachile without fish or shrimp. Also, you will find some ideas on how to serve it, with what and when.
- To get the best flavors for this vegan Mexican dish, start with the freshest ingredients you can find. This is a raw dish so it is important to get the BEST ingredients.
- Start by cutting the cauliflower into florets. This dish comes together really fast after cutting the cauliflower and you want to eat it almost immediately.
- Ths sauce calls for serrano chili pepper but please feel free to substitute with jalapeños or even habanero peppers.
- If you do not want it very spicy you can remove the seeds from the chile. It is better if you use plastic gloves to do this. If you do not use plastic gloves to remove the seeds DO NOT TOUCH your face, wash your hands immediately.
- I love to eat this vegan aguachile with tostadas. To make them just heat corn tortillas a little longer over on the stove directly over a gas burner, o place them in the oven at a very low temperature until crispy.
- You could also serve it with storebought corn tortilla chips.
- I love anything Mexican, well Mexican vegan food, so I would serve this type of ceviche with some sopes or healthy chorizo tostadas, guacamole or flautas.
So here is the recipe for my version of
Cauliflower vegan aguachile
- 1 cauliflower cut in florets
- 1 cucumber divided in two ((peeled if not organic))
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup lemon or lime juice
- 1 chile serrano
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cubed avocado
- Cut the cauliflower head into very small pieces and put them in a large bowl, set aside.
- In the blender vase put the lemon juice, salt, half cucumber, garlic clove and serrano chile. Blend for three minutes and pour over the cauliflower florets. Try and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Cube the other half of the cucumber into small pieces and put them with the cauliflower. Stir well and finish with the red onion slices and the avocado pieces.
- Serve with corn tortillas, tostadas or corn chips.