This recipe for vegan and healthy Mexican horchata is easy, delicious, and authentic, but with a twist.
What is horchata?
Horchata is a Mexican drink, a Mexican agua fresca. The original Mexican horchata is made with white rice, sugar, and cinnamon. It is delicious, but it does not have tons of nutritional benefits. There are a lot of recipes out there, some of them even have condensed milk in it. As you know, I am a BIG FAN of flavor and nutritional benefits as well.
So I decided to make this vegan and healthy Mexican horchata full of flavor and fantastic benefits for us. I mean it is so good you could even use it for smoothies, cereal, tea or coffee.
How to make vegan horchata?
- Soak the almonds and cinnamon sticks in freshwater for three hours.
- Rinse and blend with the oats and a sweetener.
How difficult is it to make horchata at home?
TRUTH? I’m going to tell you the truth, it’s very easy to prepare but you have to strain it. This is the only “difficult” part of this recipe.
But beyond that, all the other steps for making this vegan and healthy horchata are SUPER EASY.
Which sweetner is best?
In my household, we like to sweeten this agua fresca with dates, agave syrup, or sugar cane. My children like it more with cane sugar than with dates.
But if you are going to use sugar, try buying the buy the best you can. I always buy organic sugar that’s not overprocessed and vegan. Yes I know, shocking, not all cane sugar is vegan.
Tips for making the best vegan and healthy horchata:
- It is important to soak for at least three hours the almonds, this step will make your drink creamier
- Use whole rolled oats or regular oats. Do not use instant oats.
- You could or not soak the oats, if you decide to soak them, do not soak for more than three hours.
- When blending, blend the almonds and
cinammonfirst, you don’t wantto over blend the oats. They will become slimy.
This is a very authentic Mexican recipe that will go great when eating vegan Mexican food like:
So, here is the recipe for this
vegan and healthy mexican horchata
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or rating of this recipe in the comment section. Ok, ✨5 stars would be so perfect. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or tell me how it went when you made the recipe.
Heathy and vegan Mexican horchata
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup of agave or 3 dates pitted
- 3 cups of water + 2 cups of water
- Soak the almonds and cinnamon in water for at least three hours or overnight.
- When they are ready, drain them and blend with the oats and three cups of water.
- If using dates, add them here.
- When everything is well blended, strain this mixture using an old kitchen towel, a very fine sieve or a nut milk bag.
- Put in a pitcher, add 2 more cups of water and sweeten with agave or the sweetener that you like best if not using dates.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.