This recipe for vegan and healthy Mexican horchata is easy, delicious and very authentic.
The original Mexican horchata is made with white rice, sugar, and cinnamon. It is delicious, but it does not have tons of nutritional benefits. There are a lot of recipes out there that they even have condensed milk in it. As you know, I am a BIG FAN of flavor and nutritional benefits as well.
So I decided to make this vegan and healthy Mexican horchata full of flavor and fantastic benefits for us. I mean it is so good you could even use it for smoothies, cereal, tea or coffee.
I’m going to tell you the truth, it’s very easy to prepare but you have to strain it. That is the only “tough” part of this recipe. But beyond that, there is no other step in the making of this vegan and healthy horchata. In my household, we like to sweeten it with dates, agave honey or sugar cane. My children like it more with cane sugar than with dates.
But I know that sugar is always sugar and there is nothing healthy about it, so that is why most of the time I use dates to sweeten it up.
But if you are going to use sugar, try buying the buy the best you can. I always buy organic sugar that’s not overprocessed.
Tips for making the best vegan and healthy horchata:
- It is important to soak for at least three hours the almonds
- You could soak or not the oats, if you decide to soak them, do not soak for more than three hours.
- When blending, blend the almonds and
cinammonfirst, you don’t wnatto over blend the oats. They will become slimy.
So, here is the recipe for this
vegan and healthy mexican horchata
Heathy and vegan Mexican horchata
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup of agave or 3 dates pitted
- 3 cups of water + 2 cups of water
- Soak the almonds and cinnamon in water for at least three hours or overnight.
- When they are ready, drain them and blend with the oats and three cups of water.
- If using dates, add them here.
- When everything is well blended, strain this mixture using an old kitchen towel, a very fine sieve or a nut milk bag.
- Put in a pitcher, add 2 more cups of water and sweeten with agave or the sweetener that you like best if not using dates.