This recipe for vegan mayo is super easy to prepare and it tastes exactly the same as regular homemade mayo. The secret… AQUAFABA, yes this aquafaba vegan mayo is simply the best.
So, aquafaba is the liquid in a can of chickpeas or the liquid in the pot after your chickpeas are cooked. Actually it is the liquid of any bean, but it happens to be that the liquid of the chickpeas got famous. Here is an excellent article in Bon Appétit that talks about it. So, do not throw this liquid gold ever again. You can make so many things with aquafaba.
Tips, tricks & other recipes:
- The easiest way to obtain this magic golden liquid to prepare the vegan aquafaba mayo is to drain a can of cooked chickpeas and save the liquid. I store it in mason jars in the fridge.
- You could also use the liquid of home-cooked chickpeas. Just save it in a jar, store it in the fridge. The trick with homemade aquafaba is to reduce it if it’s too liquidy.
- Aquafaba works because it has similar properties to eggs. That is why you can make meringues and other egg-based recipes.
- Here are other recipes to make with it: granola cluster cookies, vegan coconut macaroons or a delicious mousse.
- And here are some recipe ideas on what to do with chickpeas… roasted chipotle chickpeas, chickpea cauliflower curry soup, tuna less tuna sandwich, and chickpeas and spinach Mexican soup.
Here is an easy formula to substitue eggs with aquafaba: ・WHOLE EGG: 3 tablespoons of aquafaba ・YOLK: 1 tablespoons of aquafaba ・WHITES: 2 tablespoons of aquafaba
So here is the recipe for
VEGAN AQUAFABA MAYO
and I hope you like it as much as I do. Having homemade vegan mayo at home it has been so perfect. Hope you make it pretty soon and you let me know how you are using it. Send me a comment on Instagram, on FB or save this recipe for later on Pinterest.
Vegan Aquafaba Mayo
- ½ cup aquafaba room temperature
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dijon
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup vegetable oil I use avocado
- pinch salt
- Put the aquafaba in the blender and turn it on medium speed. Let the aquafaba fluff.
- Add the lemon juice, mustard, and rice vinegar and continue mixing.
- Lower the speed of the blender and in a constant but thin stream, add the oil until the mayonnaise forms.