Simple Vegan Broccoli Soup is smooth and creamy without any dairy and it’s super easy to make. You only need 6 ingredients and just 30 minutes from start to finish!
There are some flavors I will never get tired of, like the simple and classic flavors in this cream of broccoli soup recipe. This soup is easy to prepare, I can have it on the dinner table in twenty minutes or less, and my kids love it!
Reasons to love this creamy vegan broccoli soup recipe
- Simple ingredients. You just need broccoli, onions and pantry staples like oil, broth, salt and pepper
- Easy to make. You simply chop your veggies, sauté and simmer, and then blend. So easy!
- Dairy-free and vegan. It’s smooth and creamy without any cheese, milk or heavy cream.
Ingredients to make vegan cream of broccoli soup
- Olive oil. Just a drizzle to sauté the onions. Feel free to use another type of oil, or you can even use water for the sautéing.
- Onion. You’ll need half a white onion that’s roughly chopped. You can also use yellow onion or shallots.
- Broccoli. You need a whole head of broccoli for this recipe, and since broccoli is the star of the soup, make sure you’re using fresh broccoli.
- Vegetable stock. You’ll need 4 cups of veggie stock or broth to simmer the broccoli. You can also use low sodium stock or water and just add a little extra seasoning.
- Salt and pepper. This is all the seasoning you need. Adjust the amounts to suit your tastes.
How to make broccoli soup vegan
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil and sauté the onions for 6-8 minutes until they soften.
- Add the broccoli, vegetable stock (or water) and some salt and pepper, give it a stir. Cover and let cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until the broccoli is soft and tender. Don’t let it boil.
- Carefully transfer the broccoli mixture to a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix (affiliate link) or blend it right in the pot with an immersion blender (affiliate link). Blend until creamy.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
How to serve this creamy broccoli soup
- Enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich on the side or cut it into small pieces and place on top of the soup.
- Ladle your soup in a bowl and then top with croutons, nuts or seeds for added crunch. You could also finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
- If you want a creamy texture add some cashews or cashew cream when blending.
- Garnish with raw broccoli florets, chopped green onion or chopped fresh herbs.
- Top it with vegan cheese or a drizzle of coconut milk, sprinkle with nutritional yeast if you want a cheesy flavor.
- Sprinkle on some crushed red pepper flakes or everything but the bagel seasoning.
Is broccoli soup healthy?
This soup is made healthy by using fresh, simple and wholesome ingredients. It isn’t loaded with heavy creams or cheese. It’s naturally creamy from the blended vegetables. Broccoli also contains vitamins A, K and C and has plenty of fiber, so you can feel good about serving this soup to your family!
Storage and freezing tips
Storage: Any leftover soup should be placed in an airtight glass container and stored in the refrigerator. It should last for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Freezing: Place the cooled soup in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator before reheating. Adjust seasoning if needed.
Additional recipe tips
- This soup only has two main ingredients – onion and broccoli. Make sure they are the freshest possible to ensure you end up with a fresh and tasty broccoli soup.
- There’s no need to dice the onion into small pieces before sautéing. They end up blended into the soup, so larger chunks are fine.
- The same goes for the broccoli. You can break apart the head into larger pieces instead of cutting it into smaller florets.
- When sautéing the onions in olive oil, use low-to-medium heat. You just want the onions to be translucent, not browned or burned.
- For added flavor, add a clove or two of minced garlic and sauté with the onion. If you want a heartier soup add some cubed potatoes in there.
- When adding the vegetable broth or water, start by adding less of what you think you’ll need and add more if needed. It’s easier to thin out a soup than fix one that has too much liquid.
- The broccoli and veggie stock mixture will be hot when you transfer it to your blender. Transfer it carefully and make sure your blender is heat proof. If it isn’t, just let the broccoli mixture cool before blending.
- Depending on the size and power of your blender, you may need to blend this vegan broccoli soup in batches.
Other broccoli soup recipes to try
- Broccoli and Spinach Soup with Cilantro Croutons
- Broccoli and Zucchini Soup with B12
- Broccoli and Greens Soup
- Broccoli Soup with Shiitake Mushroom Crisps
- Broccoli Soup with Cashews
So here is the recipe for this vegan broccoli soup and as always, please SHARE the recipe and the blog. It would be great to post it on FB, Instagram with the @piloncilloyvainilla; I love to see your creation. If you want to make it later, save it on Pinterest.
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
Simple vegan broccoli soup
- 1/2 white onion roughly chopped
- A drizzle of olive oil or another vegetable oil or a tablespoon of water
- 1 head of broccoli
- 4 cups water or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- In a soup pot add the oil and add the onion for about 6-8 minutes until it is very soft and the edges begin to brown.
- Add the broccoli and water or vegetable stock, cover and leave over medium heat for about 15-20 min or until the broccoli is very soft.
- When done Add a pinch of salt and pepper and blend until creamy.
- Check for seasoning and adjust if needed.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.