This recipe is an almost healthy vegan Frito pie, and I say almost because the only thing not homemade is the Fritos.
Everything about this dish is homemade, the chili, the poblano cashew cream, even the pickled jalapeños. Everything but the Fritos, that is why I named this dish “almost super healthy vegan Frito pie.” I know it is January and everybody, including myself, is craving salads, healthy soups, and cleaner dishes. But my boys are super excited about the super bowl and all the playoff games. So I decided to give them a bit of the fun food in a healthier way.
Related content: Sloppy Joe’s
Related content: Chickpea vegan tartine
Here is the recipe for
almost super healthy vegan Frito pie
and I hope you like it. If you do, please share the recipe and the blog and lets’ connect on Instagram.
Healthy vegan frito pie
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or neutral tasting oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons chili powder mixture
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups black beans or 2 cans
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 roasted poblano peppers seeded and stemmed
- 3/4 -1 cup water
- 1/4 onion small * optional
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pickled jalapeños
- chopped cilantro
- sliced chives
- diced avocado
- Soak the cashews in two cups of water.
- Add the oil and diced onion in a large pot. When the onion is translucent, add the garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, and salt.
- Leave it for about two or three minutes and add the tomato puree, beans and oregano. Cover and let it simmer. Test and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Meanwhile, the chili is on the stove, drain the cashews and clean the chiles. Add the cashews, poblano chiles, onion if using, in the blender along with the vinegar, lemon juice, and salt. Add half a cup of water and liquefy, add the rest of the water until it reaches the consistency that you like.
- Serve the chili on Fritos, drizzle some cashew poblano cream and top with cilantro, scallions and pickled jalapeños.