This recipe for healthy vegan Frito pie is great for a game Sunday or when you people in the house. Just imagine Fritos covered in a vegan black bean chili and drizzled with vegan poblano crema. It’s Tex-Mex food with a Mexican twist.
Almost everything about this dish is homemade, the black bean vegan chili, the poblano cashew crema, even the pickled jalapeños. Everything but the Fritos, that is why this dish is almost super healthy vegan Frito pie.
We have found that the best way to eat is to have 80% of our meals during the day healthy and clean food; the other 20% is our time to eat everything else that we are craving. This vegan chili Frito pie recipe is perfect and sticks to that rule.
Ingredients to make vegan-black-bean-chili
- Olive oil or neutral flavor oil, I usually use avocado
- Onion, finely chopped and you can use the onion that you want, yellow, red, or white
- Garlic, finely chopped or pressed with a garlic presser
- Chili powder, you can use ancho chili, chipotle chili, or chili mix
- Cayenne pepper, a pinch
- Ground cumin
- Tomato puree
- Black beans cooked at home or canned, drained, and rinsed
- Dried oregano and if you find Mexican oregano better.
Ingredients to make the poblano-crema
- Poblano peppers, roasted and without seeds and without stems
- Cashews soaked in hot water
- Vinegar of white wine or vinegar rice, or another that has a mild flavor
- Lemon juice
🔥 TIP If you prefer a flavor more attached to the original Frito pie, you can use sour cream or Mexican vegan crema made at home.
For serving this healthy vegan Frito pie
- Fritos, medium bag, or several individual ones. Buy the best option that you can find. I bought some organic and Gmo-free.
- Pickled jalapeños , if you want more chili
- Cilantro, chopped
- Chives or scallions
- Guacamole or diced avocado
How to serve the Frito-chili pie individually?
Cut the bag on one side; it would look like a small plate, there you put the chili and all the toppings. You can also open the bag at the top and eat it with a spoon. I love this idea, and it makes a great treat if you are outdoors, at a party, or on a picnic. I served them in a bowl at home. But hey, I’ll leave you the idea in case you want to make it more original.
I 100% believe that if we all have a cleaner diet and more attached to the 80-20 way of eating, we will be healthier and happier. Our children will grow up healthy, strong, and with smarter food culture. Don’t you think?
Here is the recipe for this HEALTHY VEGAN FRITO PIE with black bean chili and roasted poblano pepper crema. If you like the recipe take a picture of your creation and share it on Instagram or FB. I love to see your creations. If you are going to do it later, save it on Pinterest.
It would also be amazing if you give it 5 stars and/or if you tell me how it went in the comments section; if you have questions or ideas, put them there as well.
Other recipes that you may like:
Healthy vegan frito pie
For the vegan black bean chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or neutral tasting oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons chili powder mixture
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups black beans or 2 cans rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Poblano cashew crema
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in two cups of hot water for two hours or overnight
- 2 roasted poblano peppers seeded and stemmed
- 3/4 -1 cup water
- 1/4 onion small * optional
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pickled jalapeños
- chopped cilantro
- sliced chives
- diced avocado or guacamole
- Soak the cashews in two cups of water.
- Add the oil and diced onion in a large pot. When the onion is translucent, add the garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, and salt.Leave it for about two or three minutes and add the tomato puree, beans and oregano. Cover and let it simmer. Test and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Meanwhile, the chili is on the stove, drain the cashews and clean the chiles. Add the cashews, poblano chiles, onion if using, in the blender along with the vinegar, lemon juice, and salt. Add half a cup of water and liquefy, add the rest of the water until it reaches the consistency that you like.
- Serve the chili on Fritos, drizzle some cashew poblano cream and top with cilantro, scallions and pickled jalapeños.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.