This vegan honey mustard roasted veggie salad is one of my favorite side dishes during fall and winter. But my favorite thing about this dish is definitely the dressing. This vegan honey mustard is tangy, sweet, and perfect as a salad dressing or as a dipping sauce.
About the vegan honey-mustard recipe
I’m madly in love with this vegan honey-mustard dressing it goes perfectly well with everything and makes this salad AMAZING. It is very easy to prepare and keeps in the fridge for over a week.
Is conventional honey mustard dressing vegan?
No. Honey is not vegan. People have different opinions on it, but the bottom line is that no, honey is made by bees, not by plants. Therefore, honey is NOT plant-based.
Why is this dressing vegan-friendly?
This honey mustard dressing is vegan because we use maple syrup and mustard. Dijon mustard or yellow mustard are both vegan. So let’s make this delicious dressing that is sweet, tangy, and creamy.
Ingredients to make vegan honey mustard
- Dijon mustard. If you don’t like the spicyness of a good Dijon mustard substitute with yellow mustard.
- Maple syrup, you could use vegan honey alternative (which is made with apple juice), agave nectar or any other vegan sweetener that resmbles the sweetness of honey would work here.
- Rice vinegar or white wine, any other vonegar will work here, but I do prefer vinegars with a mild flavor.
- Extra virgin olive oil or water if you want to make it oil-free.
- Salt and pepper to taste. I always use freshly ground pepper and Kosher salt.
How to make vegan honey mustard dressing
- In a small bowl mix the mustard with the vinegar.
- Stir until well integrated, add the sweetener of choice, the olive oil and continue stirring.
- Season with salt and pepper, taste, adjust if needed.
How to use vegan honey mustard
- And add it to everything you feel needs an extra touch of YUMMINESS.
- Use it to dip roasted vegetables of vegan nuggets.
- Spread it on hamburgers or as a condiment for sandwiches.
- Or as a dressing for salads, like this roasted veggies salad
Which greens are better for autumn and winter salads?
The kale and the red cabbage will wilt a bit after you put the warm farro and roasted veggies on top, don’t worry. Kale is a sturdier green so it won’t get mushy and completely wilted. The texture will be perfect and I promise you will still love it.
How to roast veggetables?
- When roasting the sweet potatoes or any vegetable, cut them in similar sizes so they can be ready at the same time.
- If you have vegetables that will roast at different times, let’s say asparagus and potatoes use two different baking sheets or divide one large in half. This way you and take out of the oven the cooked veggies and put back right in the oven the ones that are not done.
How to store the vegan honey mustrad dressing?
- You can double or triple the dressing with out a problem.
- Keep it in the refrigerator in a tightly closed airtight container or a jar with a lid.
- This dressing does not freeze well.
Here are other of my favorite vegan recipes that you may like:
- Plant-based dressing Caesar salad,
- The best kale salad,
- Roasted sweet potatoes with Latin homemade spice mix,
- Taco salad,
- Baked green beans with aioli.
About this salad
- You can prepare this salad with vegan honey mustard dressing with any grain or roasted vegetable you like; I just feel this combination is beautiful in presentation and delicious in flavor.
- And probably you don’t feel in the mood for a salad during the cooler weather but this is kind of perfect for fall and winter. It is so good and easy to eat you can even eat it warm.
- I finish this salad with hazelnuts because I am a total nut fan and love to switch them up here. You can use walnuts, pecans, pinenuts, almonds , whatever you have in hand.
- Feel free to use brown rice or quinoa instead of farro.
- Same with the sweet potatoes, use butternut squash, delicata squash or your favorite roasted vegetable.
So here is the recipe for this delicious VEGAN HONEY-MUSTARD IN PERFECT ROASTED VEGGIES SALAD. It would be also super cool if you could share your finished salad on Instagram or Facebook. I would looooove to see your dish! If you want to make it later.. save it on Pinterest.
VEGAN HONEY-MUSTARD ROASTED VEGGIE SALAD
- Small bowl
- Salad bowl
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white wine
- 4 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil or water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup farro uncooked you can use rice or other grain
- 3 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon neutral taste oil I use avocado
- 2 1/2 cups diced sweet potato
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 4 handfuls of greens or sliced purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts roasted and roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Spread the diced sweet potatoes and sliced onion on a pan. Drizzle with olive oil, add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Arrange in a single layer and roast for about 35-40 min or until cooked and golden.
- Boil farro in three cups of water with a pinch of salt for 15-20 minutes. When the farro is cooked, drain any excess liquid and set aside.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, taste for seasoning, adjust if necessary and set aside.
- To assemble the salad set a bed of greens on a serving dish, then add a layer of farro or the grain you are using, then the roasted vegetables add the hazelnuts and finish with the “honey-mustard” dressing.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.