Kale is my favorite green. I love that it is super nutritious, and you can eat it raw, cooked, in juices, smoothies. Anyway, it is the best, but definitely, one of my favorite recipes to eat kale is in taquitos, vegan tacos. You have to try these kale and potato tacos; they really are the best.
It all starts with a sauce or sofrito, where you add the potatoes and the kale… very easy. And then this delicious plant-based “guisado” (stew) is put into corn tortillas, and … yummy! You have a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
These kale and potato tacos in tomato sauce are a staple in my house; we eat them often. It is also one of the recipes I get asked about most often. What I love about this recipe is that each person whom I’ve given the recipe to has made it in their way, so now it’s theirs. Some friends tell me they chop the tomato and aromatics; others tell me that they add coriander, oregano, or other herbs to their vegan potato and kale tacos.
TIPS, TRICKS & OTHER RECIPES
- This recipe starts with a sauce. For me, and I know that each culture and each house has a different recipe, it is tomato + onion + garlic. I put everything in the food processor and press until everything is chopped into small pieces.
- There have been some occasions in which I add everything in the blender, and I make it more like a “caldillo.” It all depends on how much time I have. Also, if I’m going to use the blender in another recipe that I’ll be cooking, I will probably use the blender to make this Mexican base sauce. The thing is to make cooking easy, fast, and super healthy. And let’s be real, to have less dishwashing to do afterward.
- For this kale tacos recipe, you can add chipotle peppers in adobo sauce or a teaspoon of ground chipotle, or chopped serrano peppers, or even a full jalapeño. You could also do it with ground coriander, oregano, mint , spearmint, cumin,etc.
- To serve: you can serve it over rice, or maybe with some vegan cheese to make quesadillas or even fill a charred poblano pepper. Finish the taquitos with sliced avocado, guacamole, and Mexican salsa verde.
A perfect 3-course meal would be:
- A lentil soup as the first course.
- For the main course: these vegan tacos with kale and diced potatoes. Serve them with brown rice and a good salad or maybe roasted Brussels sprouts with a dash of lemon.
- A chocolate pie for dessert.
This recipe is ready in no time at all, and let me tell you that if you add more liquid, you can even have a delicious soup. I hope this recipe saves you on crazy days when you have to cook as fast as you can.
Here is the recipe for these
kale and potato tacos
Kale and potato tacos
- 5 to matoes
- 1/4 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oil * optional
- 2 or 3 potatoes depends on the size
- 1 bunch of clean and chopped kale
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 serrano pepper * optional
- corn tortillas for serving
- Dice the potato.
- Cut the kale into strips, if the stems are too thick, remove them.
- Prepare the stir fry. Blend the tomato, onion, and garlic in the food processor. In the blender, put about a tablespoon of water; whatever is necessary for the blender to run well.
- In a large skillet with a lid, put the potatoes, the kale, and add the tomato mixture. Add the whole serrano pepper (it is to give flavor). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer until the potatoes are cooked.