Kale is my favorite green, no question about it. I love how nutritious it is, and all the different ways you can eat it raw, cooked, juiced, smoothies, etc. Anyway, it is the best, but definitely, one of my favorite ways to eat kale is in taquitos, vegan tacos. You have to try these vegan kale and potato tacos; they really are the best.
- Tomatoes, use any tomato that you have at home, roma tomatoes are my favorite. You can also use homemade tomato sauce or in a pinch canned tomatoes.
- Onion and garlic cloves
- Oregano. I prefer dried Mexican orgegano , but fresh or classic one works perfect. You could also do it with ground coriander, oregano, mint , spearmint, cumin, etc. This dish is so good and forgiving that feel free to add other spices.
- Potatoes. I prefrer Yukon or russet pototeos here. New or baby potatoes will work great here.
- Clean and chopped bunch kale. You can use any other green, swiss chard works perfect, spinach or any other green that needs to be used before going to waste.
- Sea salt.
- Chile. serrano pepper, jalapeño or chipotle peppers in adobo sauce or a teaspoon of ground chipotle.
- Corn tortillas for serving
How to make these vegan tacos
It all starts with a Mexican tomato sauce or sofrito, where you add the potatoes and the kale. And then this delicious plant-based “guisado” (stew) is put into corn tortillas to make tacos. You will have a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
How to make the sofrito?
- I put all the ingredients in the food processor and pulse until everything is chopped into small pieces.
- There have been some occasions in which I add everything in the blender, and I make it more like a “caldillo.” It all depends on how much time I have. Also, if I’m going to use the blender in another recipe that I’ll be cooking, I will probably use the blender to make this Mexican base sauce. The thing is to make cooking easy, fast, and super healthy. And let’s be real, to have less dishwashing to do afterward.
How to serve these Potato and kale stew
- TACOS. Make tacos with corn or flour tortillas. Finish the taquitos with sliced avocado, guacamole, and Mexican salsa verde.
- GRAINS. Serve it over brown rice, quinoa and you can add a spoonfull of black beans.
- QUESADILLAS. Maybe with some vegan cheese to make quesadillas.
- IDEA. Or even fill a charred poblano pepper.
Why we love this recipe
These vegan kale and potato tacos in tomato sauce are a staple in my house; we eat them pretty often. What I love about this recipe is that each person whom I’ve given the recipe to has made their own.
Some friends tell me they chop the tomato and aromatics; others tell me that they add coriander, oregano, or other herbs to their vegan potato and kale tacos.
This recipe is ready in no time at all, and let me tell you that if you add more liquid, you can even have a delicious soup. I hope this recipe saves you on crazy days when you have to cook as fast as you can.
Other recipes that you may like:
Here is the recipe for these kale and potato tacos and if you like them, please share your recipe on the blog. And don’t forget to share it -if you do this recipe- on Instagram and Facebook; if you are doing it later, save it on Pinterest.
Kale and potato tacos
- 5 to matoes
- 1/4 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oil * optional
- 2 or 3 potatoes depends on the size
- 1 bunch of clean and chopped kale
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 serrano pepper * optional
- corn tortillas for serving
- Dice the potato.
- Cut the kale into strips, if the stems are too thick, remove them.
- Prepare the stir fry. Blend the tomato, onion, and garlic in the food processor. In the blender, put about a tablespoon of water; whatever is necessary for the blender to run well.
- In a large skillet with a lid, put the potatoes, the kale, and add the tomato mixture. Add the whole serrano pepper (it is to give flavor). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer until the potatoes are cooked.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.