Perfect, easy and delicious vegan lime macaroons.
In Mexico we have a typical candy called “cocadas,” these cocadas are a perfect combination of a coconut macaroon and a coconut candy. When I first tasted this recipe for vegan lime macaroons I could only think of my childhood… yes, eating tons and tons of “cocadas”… Now as an adult and following a plant-based diet, I’m happy to report that I will no longer miss my beloved cocadas!!!!
This recipe I’m using AQUAFABA…
Can we please give a HUGE PRICE AND A ROUND OF APPLAUSE TO THE PERSON WHO invented this????? How amazing it is that the liquid from a can of cooked garbanzos works as for a binder in this recipe. YES, the aquafaba does the same work as egg whites. Crazy right???
Related content: Chickpea salad
Related content: Moonballs (vegan)
So here is the recipe for this amazing, delicious and very easy to prepare
VEGAN LIME MACAROONS
If you like the recipe please share, the recipe and the blog!
Vegan lime macaroons
- ½ cup aquafaba the liquid inside a can of chickpeas
- 1 cup sugar white sugar, look for vegan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- zest of 1 large lime or lemon
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large pot add the aquafaba, the sugar, the vanilla extract, the salt, and coconut oil. Turn on to medium heat and mix until the sugar completely dissolves.
- Remove from the heat and add the shredded coconut and the lemon zest. Mix until the coconut absorbs all the liquid and a thick batter forms. Let it cool and begin to form small balls of batter with a spoon or an ice cream scoop.
- Put the uncooked macaroons on a baking sheet prepared with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Put in the oven for 25 minutes or until fully golden brown on top.
- Remove and allow them to cool for at least half hour.