This vegan mushroom and onion sandwich is super easy to make and is delicious. It is one of the recipes that you learn by heart, and it is always perfect for the days you have no idea what to eat for lunch or dinner.
If you like the French Dip sandwich, imagine the vegan version without the broth. I don’t add broth because I’m not too fond of the texture of wet bread, but if you don’t mind it, you can make a straightforward one with vegetable broth and soy sauce or eat it with an onion soup-type broth.
But really, this vegan mushroom sandwich recipe has so much flavor; you don’t need anything else. Serve it with a good salad on the side, and you will see what a delicious lunch/dinner you will have.
Ingredients to make a vegan mushroom sandwich
- Which Mushroom is best ? Use the mushrooms that you like the most. You can use Portobello mushrooms, cremini, or white mushrooms. I like this sandwich best by using a mix of several mushrooms; cremini, whites, and shiitake. You can even use oyster mushrooms, or make your own mushroom mixture
- Onion. Slice the onion thinly and evenly. This will help all of the onions to caramelize evenly, and each bite taste delicious.
- Soy sauce, olive oil, and sliced garlic. If you dont have garlic, you can use garlic powder
- French bread or baguette. It is also delicious if you make it with homemade bread.
- Vegan smoked cheese. This is totally optional, but I feel it complements the sandwich pretty well. Use what ever vegan cheese you like the most. I used gouda from the Whole Foods brand. If you can’t get a good vegan cheese, make this nacho cheese recipe.
How to make the vegan mushroom sandwich?
It takes two simple steps:
- In a frying pan, add the olive oil, onions and the mushrooms with the garlic to caramelize until they become deliciously golden brown. Add the soy sauce to it.
- Put the mixture on a piece of French bread, put the cheese on top, and put it in the oven to melt. You can also grill the sandwich instead.
Other recipes that you may like:
Tips & tricks to make the best sandwich
- It is better if you eat the sandwiches immediately, if you leave them for a long time the filling can make the bread soggy.
- You can also add mustard, vegan mayo, pickles, jalapeños, avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.
- To melt the cheese and heat them, you can put them in the oven in the broiler function or put them in the toaster oven. I also love grilling the sandwiches
- If you are going to make them with loaf bread or slices of homemade bread, heat them on a griddle or frying pan with a little oil or vegan butter.
- Serve with a simple vinaigrette salad or the raw broccoli apple salad.
Here is the recipe for these mushroom and onion sandwiches, and I hope you like them a lot and become one of your favorite light dinners or vegan dinners. When you make the recipe, please take a picture of it and post it on Instagram or FB for all of us to see. If you are going to do it later, then save it on Pinterest.
It would also be incredible to give it five stars and/or tell me how it went in the comments section; if you have doubts or ideas, put them there.
Vegan mushroom and onion sandwich
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 32 oz mushrooms cremini, Portobello, or a mix
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- pinch salt
- freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE SANDWICH
- 4 pieces French bread
- 4 slices vegan cheese
- In a frying pan put the olive oil and turn on the heat over medium heat, leave for a minute. Put the sliced mushrooms, onion, and garlic and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until the onion is transparent and the mushrooms are well cooked.
- Add the soy sauce, a pinch of salt, and black pepper to taste. Leave until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- To prepare the sandwiches, cut the bread in the center without reaching the other side, fill it with the mushroom and onion mixture. Put a slice of cheese on top and put it in the oven or toaster oven to melt the cheese.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.