This is my recipe for vegan pambazos. Pambazos are a special Mexican sandwich/torta, and this is my healthier version.
The traditional recipe for pambazos has a lot of fat and frying involved. This recipe does not need tons of fat or butter or anything extra to make it taste good. Look, these vegan pambazos are made with potatoes, onion, garlic and vegan chorizo (which is already available in many places, if you can’t find at your local store, you can always buy it on AMAZON). What changes, apart from the quality of the ingredients, is how you prepare them.
And my way it’s easier than the traditional way, I promise. But first, let me tell you what a pambazo is. It’s a typical Mexican sandwich stuffed with potatoes and chorizo that it is usually fried (often in pork lard), and then served with spoonfuls of Mexican crema. I mean, it’s really not the best thing to eat… nutrition-wise. That’s why I’m telling you that my version is much healthier and even easier to make. And the best part is that you do not sacrifice the taste of a pambazo.
TIPS, TRICKS & OTHER RECIPES:
- When I’m in the kitchen, the fewer pots and pans I use, the better. So instead of cooking the potatoes in another pan or pot, I cook everything in the same pan. When the potatoes are cooked, I add the rest of the ingredients.
- I do the same with other recipes such as lentil picadillo or vegetable soups. That way, the clean up after cooking is less.
- When you form the pambazos, instead of crema, you can add any type of vegan mayonnaise or homemade vegan crema.
- I also prefer to use romaine lettuce instead of iceberg lettuce or any other lettuce. Romaine lettuce has many more health benefits and is just as crispy and delicious as the others. You could also use red cabbage or green cabbage.
- And for the bread, try to use the best you can find. Find a bread without chemicals and as close to nature as possible. In other words, look for ciabatta or “bolillo” that has the least amount of ingredients possible: flour, yeast, and water.
Below you will find the recipe for these
- 2 lb diced potatoes I use fingerlings
- 1 tablespoon vegtable oil
- 1/2 chopped white onion
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 6-8 oz shredded vegan chorizo
- 1 head romaine lettuce thinly sliced
- Mexican crema or vegan mayo
- 4-6 ciabattas or bolillos
- sea salt
- In a large skillet, preferably one that doesn’t stick, put the spoonful of oil and when hot add the potatoes with a good pinch of salt. Leave them there until they are golden brown on one side.
- Add the onion and garlic for about five minutes, add the chorizo and leave for 7-10 minutes more. The potatoes should be soft, and the chorizo well cooked. Taste and adjust for seasoning if necessary.
- Meanwhile, the potatoes and chorizo cook, prepare the bread by slicing it in half. Spread vegan crema or vegan mayo across the tops and bottoms of the ciabatta.
- Top the bottom of the ciabatta roll with a spoonful or two of the potato-chorizo mix, the top that with lettuce and gently press the tops bun over.