This vegan ragu recipe with mushrooms and lentils will be your next favorite pasta sauce… or gnocchi sauce… I mean it is so good that you can put it on top of everything.
I served this vegan Italian sauce on top of potato gnocchi for dinner this week and the kids liked it so much, they asked if they could take it for lunch as well. It made me very happy because this recipe is as nourishing as delicious.
So technically this is not a ragu sauce, ragu has meat and it takes hours to make. But my version of this vegan ragu recipe is much faster to make than the traditional one (obviously because you don’t have to slow cook any meat) and it is equally delicious. I make this vegan ragu with mushrooms (this is the best way to cook mushrooms) and lentils. Both ingredients have umami and are earthy and very good.
tips, tricks & other recipes
- If you don’t like to cook at all, this recipe is pretty straight forward. And, the best part is that you can make it with store-bought cooked lentils, jarred red bell peppers and sliced mushrooms. This way all the prep work is done for you.
- I like this recipe with sliced mushrooms but if you don’t like them sliced you can pulse them in a food processor to chop.
- This recipe is perfect with pasta, with gluten-free pasta, quinoa or chickpea pasta. It is so good you can eat it over rice, zucchini noodles, etc.
- Another quick tip on what to do with this vegan ragu is to add more liquid and you will have a delicious soup.
- Double the recipe, it will be delicious when reheated.
- Here are other recipes with mushrooms or that go well with this ragu: mushroom tacos, hummus with mushrooms, easy vegan Caesar salad, kale salad, how to make zucchini noodles.
I hope you like it and make it as often as we do at home and your kids ask for seconds and for lunch.
Here is the recipe for this
vegan ragu with mushrooms and lentils
VEGAN RAGU WITH MUSHROOMS AND LENTILS
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 sliced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups chopped or sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups cooked lentils without liquid
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 cups of canned tomato
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- fresh basil leaves to serve * optional
- vegan parmesan cheese
- In a large pot with lid, preferably thick bottom put olive oil and onion over medium heat.
- When the onion is soft, about 5-7min. Add the garlic and red pepper with a pinch of salt. Let them sautee and occasionally move until the red pepper is soft.
- Put the mushrooms, lentils, oregano, basil, and tomato smoothie.
- Cover it and leave it for about 20 min. over low heat. Do not boil.
- Try salt and put the black pepper. Serve on top of quinoa or pasta.
If you are going to make tomato puree at home; liquefy a few tomatoes with a little water, only the one necessary for the blender to run well.