This Vegan Lentil and Mushroom Ragu is the perfect dish for a romantic dinner, special celebration, or even ready in the fridge/freezer to serve the whole family.
How to serve vegan ragu?
I served this vegan version of ragu with gnocchi, but you can do it with pasta, pappardelle, polenta, brown rice, quinoa, or whatever you like best. It is also delicious if you serve it with zucchini noodles.
The important thing is that when you taste it, you will be surprised at how delicious, easy, and fast it is. And look, if you still want to do it fastestoreboughtostoreboughts and storebought sliced mushrooms.
Ingredients to make vegan the classic italian Ragu
This vegan ragu recipe is delicious, full of flavor, and super nutritious. It is an Italian sauce,, and I think you are going to love it. The ingredients are straightforward to find,, and the best thinstorstorebought use either store-bought or homemade ingredients.
- Olive oil, I love a good cold press olive oil
- Finely Chopped Onion, you could substitute with shallots
- Bell Pepper, prefferably red and fresh, you can also use canned
- Garlic in sheets, it is important that it’s thinly sliced so that it does not burn. Burnt garlic can make the sauce bitter.
- Salt and Pepper
- Mushrooms, chopped or sliced. If you are in a hurry, use the sliced storebought mushrooms.
- Cooked Lentils without liquid, use jarred lentils or home cooked, but strain them first before adding them.
- Dried Basil
- Dried Oregano
- Tomato puree, chopped tomatoes or homemade tomato sauce, you can add a little tomato paste to enrichn the flavor
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
how to make mushroom and lentil ragu?
- In a large pot or dutch oven add the olive oil and onion and sauté over medium heat.
- When the onion is soft, about 5-7min. Add the garlic and red bell pepper with a pinch of salt. Let them sautee and occasionally stir until the red bell pepper is soft.
- Add the mushrooms, lentils, oregano tsp, basil, and tomato puree.
- Cover it and leave it for about 20 min. over low medium heat. Let is simmer, do not bring it to a boil.
- Add salt and black pepper, check for seasoning and serve.
Can you store the vegan ragu ?
Like any good Italian sauce, it tastes delicious the day you make it and a little better the day you reheat it. So if you double the recipe and freeze it, the day you thaw this vegan Italian sauce, you will have a super meal, doubly delicious. If you are planning to leave it in the refrigerator, use an airtight container.
tips & tricks to make this ragu perfectly
- UMAMI. Lentils and mushrooms together are the best. They both have that umami flavor that makes each bite a dream. But if you feel your are missing that umaminess the ground meat gives add a couple of soy sauce tbsp.
- MUSHROOMS. If you don’t like mushrooms in big pieces, you can chop them quickly in the food processor (affiliate link). Put them in the container and pulse several times until they are small. Be careful that they do not become a paste.
- LENTILS. If you use precooked lentils, check the label and make sure that they do not contain anything but lentils.
- VEGAN PARMESAN CHEESE. Serve this vegan ragu with homemade walnut parmesan cheese.
- GIVE IT A TWIST. You can add more liquid to this sauce and convert it into a soup. You can use vegetable stock, vegetable broth or water. Add more vegetables, such as carrots or celery. Even adding red wine can give incredible results
- SIDE DISHES. Here are some side dishes that go amazing with it
Other recipes you might like
I hope you make the recipe and that you like it a lot. Tell me if you made it for a romantic dinner, as comfort food, or as soup. Here is the recipe for this vegan ragu with mushrooms and lentils. When you make it, take a picture and share on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. Don’t forget to rate this recipe with five stars.
Lentil and Mushroom Ragu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 sliced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups chopped or sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups cooked lentils without liquid
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 cups of canned tomato
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- fresh basil leaves to serve *optional
- vegan parmesan cheese
- In a large pot with lid, preferably thick bottom put olive oil and onion over medium heat.
- When the onion is soft, about 5-7min. Add the garlic and red pepper with a pinch of salt. Let them sautee and occasionally move until the red pepper is soft.
- Put the mushrooms, lentils, oregano, basil, and tomato puree.
- Cover it and leave it for about 20 min. over low -medium heat. Do not bring it to a boil.
- Add salt and black pepper. Serve on top of quinoa or pasta.
- This sauce is delicious on top of quinoa or pasta, even better if you get quinoa pasta.
- You must use sliced garlic not to burn; it can burn if you cut it into tiny pieces.
- To cook the lentils (for 3 cups of cooked lentils, put 1 1/2 cup of dry lentils), just put them in a large pot covered with water. Leave them for a while until they are soft.
- If you make the tomato puree at home, just liquefy a few tomatoes with a bit of water, just enough to run the blender well.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.