This is my version of governor tacos. I call it my own because this vegan tacos gobernador recipe is a recipe without shrimp, but equally delicious. This recipe uses cheese, poblano pepper, tomato, and mushrooms instead of shrimp.
What are tacos gobernador?
Tacos Gobernador come from Sinaloa, where supposedly the governor of the region always ordered his shrimp tacos covered in cheese and chili peppers. These tacos also became very famous in Baja California Norte and their fame has reached even San Diego and Los Angeles.
Like all Mexican foods, there are many versions of these tacos, but the base of chili, onion, shrimp, and cheese is the same in all versions of tacos Gobernador. I am allergic to shrimp so I never ate them, until now that I made the vegan version.
Tacos gobernador ingredients
- Butter. I use vegan butter, the brands I like the most are Myokos, Country Crock and Earth Balance. You can also substitute for olive oil, but it is really worth putting butter on it, because it adds a creamy and delicious taste.
- Tomatoes. Small diced tomato, I like it chopped small so that it falls apart, and is deliciously perfect.
- Mushroom. For this recipe I used cremini mushroom, but you can use white mushroom or portobelos. Do not salt the mushrooms until they begin to brown in the pot. This will prevent them from releaseing all of their juices.
- Garlic, the garlic is sliced in this recipe. We don’t want it to burn.
- Poblano Peppers, while raw, cut it into squares. You can read all about them in this post.
- Cheese, use a melty cheese, preferably Daiya or Violife.
- Corn Tortillas.
how to make tacos gobernador?
In a frying pan put the onion and garlic with butter, when they start to brown, put the mushrooms and leave until they begin to squeak. At this point, salt, poblano pepper, and tomatoes are added. Season with the rest of the ingredients and leave until everything is cooked and well seasoned.
In a pan, put the tortillas to heat, put grated cheese on each one, and put one or two tablespoons of the stew we just made, fold the tortillas and leave until the cheese is melted. Flip it over and let it brown a little on the other side.
How to serve these tacos?
It is best to serve them hot and squeeze a lemon on top. I like my tacos with a lot of lemon, but it is all up to you. You can also serve them with sliced onion and avocado.
Other recipes that you may like:
I leave you the recipe for these vegan governor tacos that have all the delicious flavor of shrimp tacos but with mushrooms. These tacos are perfect for people who are allergic to shrimp, for those who do not like it but want to try the delicacy of Mexican cuisine or for all of us who follow a plant-based diet.
When you make these tacos take a photo and share on Instagram or FB, if you are going to make the recipe then save it in Pinterest. It would also be incredible if you gave it 5 stars and if you have questions, suggestions or comments, let me know in the section below.
Vegan Tacos gobernador
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium cut onion
- 3 cloves cut garlic
- 400 grs mushroom
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 large tomato in cubes
- 1 tbs orégano
- salt to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Put the onion and garlic with butter in a pan, when they start to brown add the mushrooms and leave them until they start to brown. At this point, salt, soy sauce, poblano pepper and tomato are added.Add the oregano and leave until everything is cooked and well seasoned.
- In a pan you put the tortillas to heat, put grated cheese on each one and put one or two tablespoons of this stew, fold the tortillas and leave until the cheese is melted. Flip it over and let it brown a little on the other side.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.