Vegan Toffee: Crunchy treat with a deliciously creamy chocolate coating on top and coarsely chopped roasted almonds and a touch of salt.
Perfect for dessert, as a hostess gift, or as an after dinner surprise for your whole family.
What is toffee?
Toffee is a crunchy sweet that is made by caramelizing sugar and butter. This version is a vegan recipe made with vegan butter, dark chocolate, and cane sugar.
🖐BE•CAREFUL🖐 Please be very careful when making this vegan chocolate toffee. When making it you have to take the butter and sugar to really high temperatures, so it can be a bit dangerous. When you do, check that there is nothing in the kitchen that you can trip over, that there are no small children around, etc.
- Vegan butter or margarine. I like to use Miyokos, Flora, or any other brand that does not have a strong margarine flavor.
- Sugar. I use brown sugar to make the toffee, so it is a little darker than normal. I like to use organic sugar and preferably vegan. Some sugar is filtered into charred bones; that is why I look for vegan brands.
- Vanilla extract.
- Dark chocolate. I use dark chocolate because it does not have milk or anything else in it.
- Maldon Salt or any other finishing salt.
- Almonds or any other seed or nuts. Like cashews or pistachios, mints or pretzels, or whatever you like best. This is the basic vegan toffee recipe; adapt it, and finish it with what you like the most.
💡NOTE As you may have already realized, this is not the healthiest recipe out there. We eat it during the Holiday season and I do prefer to make it at home than to buy it. I believe 100% in the balance of things. Cheating with homemade candy from time to time is not so bad, is it? What do you think?
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
You also need a candy thermometer, a baking sheet, and parchment paper or a silicone mat.
HOW to make TOFFEE AT HOME? TWO STEPS
In a pot, add the sugar, butter, and water and heat over medium heat until it reaches hard crack candy temperature, 305ºF.
You turn off the heat, mix the vanilla in, and pour it into your prepared baking sheet.
Let it cool for a minute, sprinkle the chocolate chips on top, and carefully spread it into a thin layer with a spatula. Finish it up with toasted almonds and salt.
Other recipes that you may like:
If you are going to make this recipe later, don’t forget to save it on Pinterest and leave your comments, suggestions, or ideas at the bottom. It would also be amazing if you gave this recipe 5 stars.
- 250 grams sugar
- 250 grams vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 150 grams dark chocolate in pieces
- salt flakes
- 100 grams toasted almonds, roughly chopped
- Prepare all the ingredients and have them ready and on hand. Have the thermometer ready and the baking shet prepared with the parchment paper or the silicone mat.
- Add the sugar, butter, and 2 tablespoons of water into a saucepan. Turn on medium heat and stir until it reaches a temperature of 305ºF. The mark on the thermometer says, "hard-crack."
- Turn off the heat and mix in the vanilla.
- With great care and with good pair of kitchen gloves, empty the caramel on the prepared baking sheet. Let it cool for a minute and sprinkle the chocolate pieces on top. With a spatula, spread the chocolate over the caramel.
- Immediately sprinkle the almond pieces and a pinch of salt.
- Let cool completely, break into pieces and store in a tightly closed container.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.