I have no idea why I felt so daunted to prepare Mexican tortilla soup. Probably it was because I felt that a tortilla soup without chicken wasn’t authentic enough. But then I remembered a place we used to eat when I lived in Mexico City, they served vegan tortilla soup.
They served this super tasty broth in a bowl and then they placed all the toppings on the side. I loved this… and of course, as a kid, I overdid the tortilla chips and the avocado. My soup was always looked like over sauced chilaquiles… lol.
So I went and prepared my version of tortilla soup, a vegan tortilla soup. And it turned out so good… YUM! But best of all I prepared it on a pinch and it took me right back to my childhood. The funny thing is that as a kid I didn’t like soups at all… but if they serve me a chickenless tortilla soup I always inhaled it.
The broth is light but really flavorful with a hint of spice and oregano. Then you serve it with a big dollop of Mexican crema, fried or non-fried tortilla chips, cilantro, and sliced avocado. Really it doesn’t get more Mexican than this. So here it is, my version, my plant-based recipe of
, here are some tips, tricks, and other recipes to make this soup AMAZING:
- You could make this soup with canned tomatoes, but I love the taste and ritual of
roasting tomatoes, onion and garlic. My house smells like Mexico when I roast these veggies from scratch.
- I use ground chile ancho or ground Chile chipotle, this makes making the soup much easier.
- To serve the vegan tortilla soup I like to make my own Mexican crema (and its vegan…?) and use these tortilla chips (which are delicious and have a very strong mission behind).
- As for serving this soup for dinner… ?…this would be my complete menu: vegan tortilla soup to start, and then picadillo lentil tacos and a magical salad.
So here is the recipe for this
vegan tortilla soup
and I hope you like it as much as I do. If you make it, don’t forget to take a picture of it and share it on Instagram or FB. I love to see your creations!! Or… you could save it for later on Pinterest.
Vegan Tortilla Soup
- 4 tomatoes
- ½ onion medium size
- 3 cloves of garlic unpeeled
- 3 cups of water
- 1 or ½ teaspoon of chipotle chili powder or ancho chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon of dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 avocado diced
- Mexican vegan cream
- Sliced and fried Chili pasilla or guajillo* optional
- Put the tomato, onion, and garlic in the pot that you are going to use over high heat to roast. If you prefer you can put ½ teaspoon of vegetable oil. When everything is well roasted, peel the garlic and put into a blender jar with the onion and tomato.
- Add the chipotle chile or ancho chili powder, salt and blend until smooth with three cups of water.
- Return to the pot where you roasted the vegetables and add the oregano. Leave on medium heat for ten minutes or until simmering. Test and adjust seasoning necessary.
- Serve with corn strips, diced avocado, vegan Mexican crema, sprigs of cilantro and sliced guajillo chile or pasilla chile.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.