I have no idea why I felt so daunted to prepare Mexican tortilla soup. Probably it was because I felt that a tortilla soup without chicken wasn’t authentic enough. But then I remembered a place we used to eat when I lived in Mexico City, they served vegan tortilla soup.
They served this super tasty broth in a bowl and then they placed all the toppings on the side. I loved this… and of course, as a kid, I overdid the tortilla chips and the avocado. My soup was always looked like over sauced chilaquiles… lol.
So I went and prepared my version of tortilla soup, a vegan tortilla soup. And it turned out so good… YUM! But best of all I prepared it on a pinch and it took me right back to my childhood. The funny thing is that as a kid I didn’t like soups at all… but if they serve me a chickenless tortilla soup I always inhaled it.
The broth is light but really flavorful with a hint of spice and oregano. Then you serve it with a big dollop of Mexican crema, fried or non-fried tortilla chips, cilantro, and sliced avocado. Really it doesn’t get more Mexican than this. So here it is, my version, my plant-based recipe of
, here are some tips, tricks, and other recipes to make this soup AMAZING:
- You could make this soup with canned tomatoes, but I love the taste and ritual of
roasting tomatoes, onion and garlic. My house smells like Mexico when I roast these veggies from scratch.
- I use ground chile ancho or ground Chile chipotle, this makes making the soup much easier.
- To serve the vegan tortilla soup I like to make my own Mexican crema (and its vegan…?) and use these tortilla chips (which are delicious and have a very strong mission behind).
- As for serving this soup for dinner… ?…this would be my complete menu: vegan tortilla soup to start, and then picadillo lentil tacos and a magical salad.
So here is the recipe for this
vegan tortilla soup
and I hope you like it as much as I do. If you make it, don’t forget to take a picture of it and share it on Instagram or FB. I love to see your creations!! Or… you could save it for later on Pinterest.
Vegan Tortilla Soup
- 4 tomatoes
- ½ onion medium size
- 3 cloves of garlic unpeeled
- 3 cups of water
- 1 or ½ teaspoon of chipotle chili powder or ancho chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon of dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 avocado diced
- Mexican vegan cream
- Sliced and fried Chili pasilla or guajillo* optional
- Put the tomato, onion, and garlic in the pot that you are going to use over high heat to roast. If you prefer you can put ½ teaspoon of vegetable oil. When everything is well roasted, peel the garlic and put into a blender jar with the onion and tomato.
- Add the chipotle chile or ancho chili powder, salt and blend until smooth with three cups of water.
- Return to the pot where you roasted the vegetables and add the oregano. Leave on medium heat for ten minutes or until simmering. Test and adjust seasoning necessary.
- Serve with corn strips, diced avocado, vegan Mexican crema, sprigs of cilantro and sliced guajillo chile or pasilla chile.