This post was made in partnership with ONE DEGREE ORGANICS, the recipe, photos and opinions are all mine.
Today was the last day of school! I’m very happy. It was a great school year, they all had great moments and some challenges, but I guess they’re done with school and so ready for summer. I’m also so ready for the vacations. You’ll probably think I’m lazy, but really, I just love having my kids around and our quiet afternoons. Not having to run around and to be driving all day long makes me happy. But I do think that with summer vacations, come a lot of planning, a different kind of planning.
Now the challenge is for moms; we have to have the house organized, the schedule, the meals, … everything. But I do think that nothing has to be extra complicated. We can have sandwiches for lunch and a quick casserole for dinner. This chipotle-humus vegetable sandwich is the best you can have, and it all starts with the bread. Have you tried the bread of the brand ONE DEGREE? I discovered this brand a few years ago, and I fell in love with it immediately. The first thing I bought was a box of cereal. And I bought it because while reading the ingredient list I fell in love with the transparency and commitment that this brand has for selling food … real food.
In each of their products, you can read the story behind each ingredient. I mean, isn’t it crazy??? This says passion, commitment and integrity don’t you think?
From that day, I started to buy more and more products of this brand and the loaves of bread are one of my favorite products. For these sandwiches, I chose the one with lentils in it. What??? I know right??? Just think of it, lentils, sprouted grains clean ingredients, you know exactly what you’re eating. Isn’t it perfection?? Can you imagine the amount of nutrients that our family has in each bite of this bread? And if you combine it with raw vegetables and hummus it becomes the best sandwich ever. This is a complete meal in every way; I know that when I feed my kids a vegetable sandwich, they will be full of energy and with a happy tummy for the rest of the day.
Related content: Soup with grilled cheese croutons
And do not worry too much if your kids do not eat chili, the vegetable sandwich can be made with regular hummus. Another option would be to add less chipotle paste when preparing it. In the end, the spiciness of the chile chipotles is toned down by the sweetness of the carrots and beets.
Related content: Sweet-potato homemade chips
My favorite thing about this vegetable sandwich is the crunchiness in every bite. It is delicious even for picky eaters. My youngest kid doesn’t like carrots, so when she saw what we were having for lunch, she almost ran away. Luckily I convinced her to give it just one bite… she finished it all, she couldn’t believe how delicious it was.
So here is the recipe:
delicious vegetable sandwich with chipotle hummus
and I hope you like it as much as I do. And if you like it please share, the recipe and the blog. But before that run to ONE DEGREE ORGANIC’s and learn more about their amazing products.
Vegetable sandwich with chipotle hummus
- 8 slices of bread of One Degree
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup grated beets
- 1 sliced avocado
- 4 handfuls of green leaves
- 11/2 cup cooked and drained chickpeas or one can
- 1 garlic clove
- 11/2 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chipotles in marinade (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Grate the carrot and beetroot in the food processor. You can grate it together or separate.
- Prepare avocado and green leaves. Leave it aside until it's time to put together the sandwiches.
- Put all the ingredients in the glass of a blender or food processor bowl. Mix until all ingredients are fully integrated.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Keep in mind that the hummus has to have a paste-like consistency.
- Spread the 8 slices of bread with hummus.
- Put some greens on top of each slice of bread with hummus. Add the grated carrots to four pieces of bread. Do the same with the grated beets and add them to the other four pieces of bread with hummus and greens.
- Add the avocado and close the sandwiches.