This spicy watermelon basil salad is one of my favorite salads of all time. Have you ever tried watermelon in a salad or prepare like this with chile and onion? This is a vegan watermelon salad and you can have it ready in 15 minutes or less.
BENEFITS OF WATERMELON
One cup of diced watermelon has less than 45 calories. It is delicious, fresh, super juicy. Packed with vitamins C, A, and B. It has tons of minerals and is perfect for rehydrating us on hot days. Watermelon can also help reduce muscle soreness after exercising, among many other benefits.
Why WILL you LIKE THIS spicy WATERMELON basil SALAD?
Other than having an extraordinary taste that will blow your mind, you really have to try it. This is a straightforward salad to make that goes perfect on any summer table and perfect as a side dish for any summer day meal.
You have to try this salad; it’s delicious. And look, if you aren’t down to eat this salad yet, you should try eating watermelon topped with a pinch of salt. And then you slowly add up the other ingredients. Like lemon and salt, you take small steps until you’re ready to try this watermelon salad.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE WATERMELON SALAD
- Watermelon, find a watermelon that is just right. You can use red watermelon or yellow watermelon; a combination of the two is also amazing in color and taste.
- Red onion, thinly sliced. If you feel that the onion has a strong bite, you can soak it in iced water; this removes the spicy bite and makes it crunchier.
- Serrano chili, thinly sliced. If you want it to be less spicy, substitute for jalapeños or remove the veins and seeds from the chili.
- Basil, julienned. You can substitute with mint or coriander.
- Lemon or lime juice
- Olive oil
- Sea salt or kosher salt
- Almonds. Substitute with cashews or pumpkin seeds.
HOW TO MAKE THIS spicy WATERMELON basil salad?
- Chop the watermelon into large cubes, then the chili and onion into slices. Slice the basil into thin strips.
- Toast the almonds with a little olive oil.
- Mix the olive oil and lemon juice, season with salt.
- In a large salad bowl , carefully mix all the ingredients. Taste and adjust the flavor if necessary
Other recipes that you may like:
So here is the recipe for this spicy watermelon basil salad, and I hope you love it as much as I do, and don’t forget to post your creation on Instagram. I love being able to see what you guys make!! Also, be sure to share this recipe with others on Facebook, or save it for later on Pinterest.
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
- 6 cups of watermelon diced
- 1/4 of red onion thinly sliced
- 1 serrano chili thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup basil julienned
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Mix the almonds with one tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Put them in the toaster oven or a pan to roast a bit for about 5 min.
- The almonds are ready when they start to release their aroma. Be careful not to burn them.
- In a small bowl mix the lemon juice and the rest of the olive oil, season with salt.
- In a large bowl mix the watermelon (being careful not to break it), with basil, serrano pepper, and onion.
- Add the lemon and olive oil dressing. Serve and finish it with the roasted almonds and a pinch of salt. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.