I am writing this post for you and for me and for all of us that stand in front of the pantry with no idea on what to cook for dinner. You grab a can of chickpeas and you hope for the best.
And maybe there is a little bit of praying that a good dish comes out for dinner. Do you have moments like this? I do, and a lot. I usually lose track of time while I’m working or there are some days that I have ZERO inspiration to cook. So, for these days chickpeas are lifesavers.
How to buy the best can of chickpeas?
- When buying canned chickpeas look for the cleanest can of beans you can find. Read the labels, the list of ingredients should be CHICKPEAS, nothing else.
- And it is even better if you know the place of origin, and if they are organic and GMO-free.
- Obviously, for me, there is NO question between homecooked chickpeas or storebought chickpeas. I will always choose homecooked, but for the days I just don’t know what to feed my family, the canned ones are my choice.
- I have also bought cooked chickpeas in pouches, and they are really good.
tips, tricks & other recipes
- Drain the can of legumes over a strainer with a bowl underneath. This way you can save the aquafaba (liquid in which the chickpeas come in). With aquafaba you can make vegan mayo, granola clusters, and lime-coconut macarons.
- After you drain them, rinse them pretty well. After that, the chickpeas will be ready to use.
- If you have leftovers, store in glass containers in the fridge.
- Don’t forget to recycle the can or better yet reuse it.
Ok, here are
8 recipes to cook with a can of chickpeas
- Chickpea soup with spinach served with charred lime and grilled avocado. One of my favorite soups ever.
- Garbanzo patties with spiced mayo. This recipe for vegan patties is the kind of recipe that you can serve as an appetizer, as a main dish if you serve it over greens or as a first course. Each bite of these little vegan patties will take you on vacation. Well, that is how I feel every time I make them.
- Roasted chipotle chickpeas. So good! You can finish a salad with them, have them for a snack, top a bowl of soup or just have a bunch as a 3:00 pm pick me up.
- Hummus, yes because hummus is the best. Hummus tastes amazing with greens, with mushrooms or as a base for a Mediterranean salad.
- This tuna-less sandwich is sooooo goood and what makes it tuna less are the chickpeas in it.
- I love this cauliflower curry with chickpeas.
- This Mexican green soup is one of my favorite recipes ever!!! So easy and delish.
- This vegan noodle soup is also a great recipe to try and have in hand.