This Vegan Strawberry Cake is perfect for birthdays or any other celebration. This vegan vanilla cake is moist and spongy and finished with a light and creamy vegan strawberry frosting.
About this vegan cake
The cake is vegan because it has no eggs and no dairy. This makes it a perfect cake recipe for everybody, even those with food sensitivities or food allergies.
This vegan cake is moist, spongy, and delicious. And the frosting has strawberries, yes, natural strawberries. Yes, I know I add fruits and veggies to everything, but I think flavor-wise and nutritious-wise make everything.
To serve this cake, you can use fresh strawberries, sliced or whole, or a combination of different berries.
Ingredients for the perfect vegan cake
Another thing I love about this vegan cake is that it is made with ingredients that you usually have in your pantry. You will use all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar , vegetable milk (rice milk, almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk), and vanilla extract. There are no secrets here or any difficult-to-find elements.
And for the frosting, strawberries pure, vegan butter, and powdered sugar. The color is all-natural (without food coloring), perfect, and the flavor is simply the best.
How to make the cake
This is the easiest vegan cake recipe you’ll ever find, for real. Just mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix until all is well integrated.
Do not over mix; just mix with a spatula or a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are well integrated.
Some substitutions you could make for the cake recipe are coconut oil instead of vegetable oil, strawberry flavor instead of vanilla extract, and you could also add some natural food coloring in there.
How to make the vegan strawberry buttercream frosting
It is best to use a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, like a kitchen aid or an electric hand mixer for the frosting. It would help make sure the butter is softened, and it is much easier to do with a mixer.
Then, slowly start adding the powdered sugar and the strawberry purée until your frosting is fluffy, spreadable, and delicious. Use this vegan frosting as a filling and frosting or just frosting.
tips & tricks for the best cake
- PREHEAT. Always preheat the oven when making this or any other cake. It will bake better.
- Which pan should I use? This vegan cake recipe comes out perfect in a 12-inch cake pan square or two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Vegan strawberry filling? If you are making a round cake layers fill it with the vegan strawberry frosting or strawberry chia jam. But, please be sure the cake cooled over a cooling rack for an hour or so.
- Can this cake be made gluten-free? This cake recipe is vegan, so no eggs or dairy included. YES! And you could even make it gluten-free if you use a 1:1 gluten free flour.
- Can you freeze the cake? Yes, you can definetly freeze the cake after it is baked and cooled down. Be sure to wrap it tightly
- Can I make cupcakes instead? Yes, you could absolutely make cupcakes.
- Which butter for the forsting should I use? For the frosting, I use Earth Balance vegan butter, but feel free to use whichever you like.
- Here are other recipes with strawberries:
Other recipes that you may like:
So here is the recipe for this winter strawberry cake, and I hope you like it as much as we do. Please don’t forget to share the recipe when you make it on Instagram, Facebook or save it later on Pinterest.
It would also be fantastic and super helpful if you leave a comment and/or a rating of this recipe in the comment section. Please feel free to write suggestions, ideas, or how it went when you made the recipe.
Winter Strawberry Cake
- Electric mixer
- Baking pans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp strawberry puree
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 cups frozen California Strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Prepare two 9-in round cake pans or a square one with cooking spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- In a medium bowl mix the oil, almond milk, vinegar, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for 35-40 minutes until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely in the pans.
- Beat the butter or vegetable margarine in a large bowl with an electric mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed until smooth.
- Lower the speed and 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar, mix until creamy. Add the strawberry puree, mix well. Add the rest of confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Beat until high speed until light and fluffy. If needed add almond milk to thin the frosting.
- In a medium saucepan, add the strawberries and the sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat occasionally stirring until the strawberries thaw and the sugar dissolves.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20-35 minutes. Puree and let it cool.
- When cakes are cooled completely, gently unmold them. Place one cake on a cake stand and spread a layer of frosting over the cake. Spread a layer of frosting on the top. Lightly frost the sides with the remaining frosting. Or if making a pan cake, just frost the top layer.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
This post is made in collaboration with California Strawberries, the recipe, pictures, and opinions are all mine.