Vegan French onion soup
This Vegan French onion soup is to die for, it is easy, delicious and comforting.
- 2 large onions thinly sliced (I used yellow and red)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 whole garlic cloves unpeeled
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 slices of baguette bread or any other French bread
- 6 slices of Chao Slices from Field Roast or any other cheese that you prefer
- fresh chopped parsley
n a large saucepan add the olive oil and butter and set over medium heat. When the butter melts, add the onion, let them caramelize for about 5-7 minutes.
Add the bay leaf, thyme, salt, garlic, vegetable broth, and water. Cover and leave on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
Meanwhile, turn the oven to the broiler function. Place the bread slices on a baking sheet, put a slice of cheese on top of each piece, and put it under the broiler for 3-5 minutes.
To serve, serve the soup in a bowl and top each one of them with a piece of bread with melted cheese. Sprinkle with the chopped fresh parsley.