Potato Ceviche Veracruz
This ceviche is a delight and perfect for any hot day. This vegan ceviche can serve as an entree, to accompany some other Mexican dish or as a snack.
- 2 lb. / 900 grs. of potatoes the smallest you can find
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of dried oregano
- enough water to cover the potatoes
- 1 cup of tomato juice I use organic store-bought
- ½ cup of ketchup I use organic and low in sugar
- ½ cup of lime juice
- 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2-4 tablespoons of hot sauce Cholula or Tabasco
- ¾ cup of green olives with or without red pepper filling
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped white onion
- Pinch salt
- ¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado sliced or diced
Put the potatoes in a pot with a lid with enough water to cover them with the salt and oregano. Leave them until they are fully cooked but still firm.
Meanwhile in a large bowl mix the tomato juice, the ketchup, the lime juice, the orange juice, the hot sauce, the olives, and minced onions. Add a pinch of salt and check the flavor for seasoning. Adjust if necessary.
When the potatoes are done, drain them and rinse them with cold water, put them in the bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Add the cilantro and mix carefully.
Serve in small bowls or cups. Finish with slices of avocado.