Healthy vegan frito pie
Almost super healthy vegan Frito pie with vegan chili, cashew poblano cream and chopped fresh cilantro and scallions.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or neutral tasting oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons chili powder mixture
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups black beans or 2 cans
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 roasted poblano peppers seeded and stemmed
- 3/4 -1 cup water
- 1/4 onion small * optional
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pickled jalapeños
- chopped cilantro
- sliced chives
- diced avocado
Soak the cashews in two cups of water.
Add the oil and diced onion in a large pot. When the onion is translucent, add the garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, and salt.
Leave it for about two or three minutes and add the tomato puree, beans and oregano. Cover and let it simmer. Test and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Meanwhile, the chili is on the stove, drain the cashews and clean the chiles. Add the cashews, poblano chiles, onion if using, in the blender along with the vinegar, lemon juice, and salt. Add half a cup of water and liquefy, add the rest of the water until it reaches the consistency that you like.
Serve the chili on Fritos, drizzle some cashew poblano cream and top with cilantro, scallions and pickled jalapeños.