School lunches are hard to make, don’t you think? Well, they are hard for me, and some days in the morning, my mind goes blank. So, slowly, I’ve been developing some tricks and recipes, like these zucchini grilled sandwiches that my kids adore, and that makes my mornings flow better.
And with Little Northern Bakehouse white wide slice gluten-free bread they like it even more. When I prepared them, one of my kids said…
“Mom, can we just eat this type of bread from now on… IT’S MY FAVORITE.”
And he is right because 50% of a good, healthy and delicious sandwich is the bread. So, when making the kids lunches, I always strive for two things: health and flavor. This zucchini grilled sandwich has both.
It all starts with the bread. These loaves from Little Northern Bakehouse are so good. The bread is soft, it has a fantastic flavor, great texture, and NO-ONE will believe it is GLUTEN-FREE. For real.
This vegan, allergy-friendly, Non-GMO Project Verified bread will soon become one of your favorites.
The texture is perfect, not grainy or weird like other gluten-free loaves of bread. This one is different and it goes perfectly well with the zucchini filling. What I love the most about this filling is that you can adapt it by adding or removing ingredients. Do what you like best. It is so delicious and so simple that it will always taste good.
Tips, tricks & other recipes:
- I use vegan mozzarella cheese; you could use vegan cheddar cheese or pepper jack.
- A fun idea is to add sliced tomato to the sandwich, and it will have like a pizza-flavor-vibe.
- I also love to switch up the condiments. One day I use pesto, some days mustard (dijon or yellow), chipotle or kimchi mayo, cherry roasted tomatoes. I mean, this sandwich is customizable, which is a great thing when you have kids.
- Here are other recipes that I’ve made with Little Northern Bakehouse: Gluten-free campfire mousse, Gluten-Free Cauliflower Banh-mi’s, and the creamy-vegan-pot-pie-soup.
So here is the recipe for these delicious
ZUCCHINI grilled sandwich
Zucchini grilled cheese
- Box grater
- 1 cup grated zucchini drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced basil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 8 slices of Little Northern Bakehouse white or whole-grain wide slice loaf
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter or olive oil
- Grate the zucchini with a grater box and place over an old kitchen towel. Sprinkle the salt and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze moisture out and put the dry zucchini in a clean bowl.
- Mix the zucchini with the cheese and basil.
- To form the sandwich spread dijon on the top half, add about 1/2 a cup of the cheese and zucchini mix, and place the top half on.
- Place a skillet on medium-high heat and the olive oil or butter, and place the sandwich. Toast on both sides until cheese is melted.
Nutritional information of this recipe is only an estimate, the accuracy for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.